Cub Cadet

Clinton Engine help

I have an issue with the pull start on the Clinton engine on my RJ, I think its stemming from the fact that the flywheel backing plate is bent and cracked which means the cowl doesn't bolt on how it should, this means that the pull start won't disengage from the flywheel properly and when we start it it catches. Does anyone think the plate can be straightened or does anyone have any spares? Its a Clinton B1290/B1260, thanks

IMG_2375.JPG.a876f1b4d7b39d85068ae902fddf2229.JPG

IMG_2376.JPG.79a997b156f73bb7ff200db96f0eb388.JPG

IMG_2377.JPG.d5e1b21c679b67a8369d486d0ebef09c.JPG

Attempting to straighten a die cast? alloy component has its risks. Is the recoil unit bolted to the cowling? If so, for the time being, could you compensate for the misalignment with spacing washers in the appropriate positions. Alternatively, could you slot the cowling mounting holes in the cowling so as to fudge its alignment on the back plate?

22 hours ago, Wristpin said:

Attempting to straighten a die cast? alloy component has its risks. Is the recoil unit bolted to the cowling? If so, for the time being, could you compensate for the misalignment with spacing washers in the appropriate positions. Alternatively, could you slot the cowling mounting holes in the cowling so as to fudge its alignment on the back plate?

I might try some spacing washers, the holes are slotted a little already, one problem i've had is that the bolts that holt the recoil on are spotwelded and the spotweld had broken therefore I cannot undo or tighten them, I may have to drill them out

13 hours ago, Stormin said:

As Angus says, straightening it would be dodgy. Besides what he has said, is it possible the get the split welded and then the plate skimmed flat?

Yes I thought straightening it wouldn't be an option. 

If it helps I travel to India 3 or 4 times a year. If you could get the part scanned and turned into a 3D CAD model then I can get it machined from solid very cheaply, alternatively send me the part and I'll do it over there. I've had numerous parts made for me at ridiculously cheap prices. For example I've had 3 mower deck shafts and end stops made for £50 when quoted £500 in the UK and got a load of Bolens tube frame PTO front seals made for I wont say how much as selling them for a stupid mark up but still considerably cheaper than getting them from the states!!. I actually exported some of them to the USA !!!

I'm scheduled to go again end of May returning early June this time so if it helps let me know!

18 hours ago, heliosuk said:

If it helps I travel to India 3 or 4 times a year. If you could get the part scanned and turned into a 3D CAD model then I can get it machined from solid very cheaply, alternatively send me the part and I'll do it over there. I've had numerous parts made for me at ridiculously cheap prices. For example I've had 3 mower deck shafts and end stops made for £50 when quoted £500 in the UK and got a load of Bolens tube frame PTO front seals made for I wont say how much as selling them for a stupid mark up but still considerably cheaper than getting them from the states!!. I actually exported some of them to the USA !!!

I'm scheduled to go again end of May returning early June this time so if it helps let me know!

Thanks for the offer but we’ve managed to straighten it out and braced it, and I’m getting a spare Engine shortly that I can use if I need to. :thumbs: