Anglo Traction

Fichtel & Sachs AG STAMO 202

Got an Engine challenge- German 4 stroke Petrol. Yes, I've got to go Metric to make some parts:wacko:!.

I found the spec for it, searched Ebay.de  for parts/Manuals etc. Established that Stamo versions were prior to ST versions, but not found out if they can be dated by the Engine Serial Nbr-

DSC01753.JPG.7b3f0bed998e428c520a3ac1471182b7.JPG 

Believe it is around 1950s. So if anyone can help or point me in the direction of manuals/info, I would be grateful, as this needs to be a good runner.

stamo stands for stand motor or stationär motor, meaning stationary engine. the stamo's arent too uncomon and parts are available

also i dont think its a 4stroke, think sachs only made twostrokes?

191cc from 74

parts list http://schreiber-zweiradshop.de/Reparaturanleitung--Ersatzteilliste--Ersatzteileliste--Reparaturanweisung--Betriebsanleitung--Druckschriften-/Ersatzteillisten--SACHS--Sachsmotor--Hercules--K50-RL--K50-SL--K50-Sprint--MK1--MK2--SB1--SB2--Sachs-98ccm--Sachs-100ccm--Sachs-98-/Ersatzteilliste-SACHS-Stamo-161--201--202.html

2 hours ago, Stormin said:

Is it a motorcycle engine by any chance, Richard?

Afraid not Norm, I believe it is attached to a form of Mower.

1 hour ago, C-101plowerpower said:

stamo stands for stand motor or stationär motor, meaning stationary engine. the stamo's arent too uncomon and parts are available, also i dont think its a 4stroke, think sachs only made twostrokes? 191cc from 74

Thanks for the clarity/info Koen, probably should have waited 'til I saw it in the flesh. Only have the pic so far.

As you point out that it's a 2 Stroke, then it will simplify the work. Will have to be careful to record the set timing before fiddling with it, and should find the Fuel/Oil ratio somewhere.

I wonder if they will be disappointed with it's age?.

Expecting to see it next week.

Regards.

Update- Despite all efforts by this engine to avoid producing a Spark, it finally relented the other week after delving deep behind the Flywheel and checking/cleaning everything.

Made some missing parts for the over complicated and non-repair friendly Bing Carb.

Managed to get it to fire a few times, but suspected the Carb settings were out, as I had not touched them.

Last Weds, able to get to it for an hour or so. Played with the Air Bleed and Governor, then burst into life with an impressive white smoke cloud.

It had been parked up several years ago and in a poor state in both condition and mechanically.

I'll post some pics of it and what it is attached to soon when it's in full running order and the owner gives me the OK.        

On 08/09/2018 at 6:15 PM, Sammoore13bolens1053 said:

Sachs dolmar, the chainsaw brand perhaps? They used to make great machines, rubbish now

Sorry for delay in reply. Nope, not a chainsaw. It is a Mower, but I don't think they are common in UK?. It was a bit of a wreck and on it's second engine (1965 mower model).

Judging by the damage to the rather massive Spindle housing, it had a catastrophic bearing failure as well when the original engine let go of it's bits.

Presumably, it had new bearings fitted when the engine was replaced, and it was these bearings which had also failed and I was tasked with extracting them for replacement-

DSC01755.JPG.100db47b1be71ad13385188ebceb34bb.JPG   

It took an awful lot of pressure just to get the 25mm diameter spindle out.

I then had the same problem with the bearings and found they had been bonded in to take up the gap caused by the old seized ones wearing the Housing bore out-

DSC01758.JPG.6f855f91727151db02bf89c7e22ab2e8.JPG

Found the housing bore was nearly 0.4mm larger after cleaning it out. That gave me a problem, as the usual Loctite bearing fit fluids could only cope with much smaller gaps.

Searched and found one that specified use for up to 0.5mm gaps, obtained new quality bearings and had to make a circular wire spacer to hold the lower bearing away from a worn lip in the bottom of the housing-

DSC01781.JPG.a66098d16bdd4b69d40c2bd21d6679c9.JPG  

Reassembled and bolted up under tension to ensure everything was aligned while the joint fluid was setting.

Installed the completed Housing back onto the Deck and fitted the massive sharpened/balanced blade. All now smooth spinning ready for running-

DSC01857.JPG.2975b513174a8e647e44195e3b1bcb1e.JPG  

It was then that I had to tear into the engine to find why no spark. Not impressed with the motor's design, over complicated and lots of work removing bits to get at the coil etc.

Took a 4 foot (1.22mtrs) scaffold bar on both the Flywheel nut and then again to get the Flywheel off the keyed taper.

Anyway, all sorted and got it running despite the iffy Carb (now you know where that Fuel Tap I fixed went to)-

DSC01858.JPG.5e98eb52c23c16f6f71c031c7f273f8c.JPG

This machine had a serious impact on it's left rear corner. You can just see the (good) Ali weld repair bottom right. It had damaged the Drive unit housing etc and I had to pull that straight and fix the pulleys etc-

DSC01855.JPG.e9dac063525cb322d656e82bbf23db9c.JPG 

DSC01856.JPG.0610a137841ba170fb6d2d1677a8a7fd.JPG

So there it is,  a 1965 SABO rotary mower with drive unit. I only have to fix the handles on and it's ready for testing and fine tuning.

It has no remote throttle on the handle, only a lever that lifts the drive unit clear of the ground!. The throttle lever is on the Carb!.

Interesting machine and a mildly enjoyable challenge, but give me an old british job with old whitworth spanners and a good chance of obtaining spares and info.

Which spookily is what is lined up for me next

edit-

Mods can move this to another forum as it is a pedestrian op machine if desired. I kept it here for continuity 

Regards

On 9/15/2018 at 4:05 PM, C-101plowerpower said:

i've seen one of those before, they had one at the sabo-roberine plant i worked

I was relying on you Koen to have seen one.  

Not sure how common they are, only seen one on Ebay.De in the last year. Very robust mower if well maintained. Impressed with the Wire pullstart cord, would outlast the engine.

When I look at the Drive unit on the Mower, it reminds me of the WW1 Mk1 Tank Tails used for steering.  

I think they must have changed the colour scheme at some point, as this Sabo owned image is earlier than 1965 I believe-

656500904_SABOBus.jpg.794ac99d35e39d75f22db52e2ae53eea.jpg

2 hours ago, Anglo Traction said:

I was relying on you Koen to have seen one.  

Not sure how common they are, only seen one on Ebay.De in the last year. Very robust mower if well maintained. Impressed with the Wire pullstart cord, would outlast the engine.

When I look at the Drive unit on the Mower, it reminds me of the WW1 Mk1 Tank Tails used for steering.  

I think they must have changed the colour scheme at some point, as this Sabo owned image is earlier than 1965 I believe-

656500904_SABOBus.jpg.794ac99d35e39d75f22db52e2ae53eea.jpg

the one you're working on seems to be in the sabo roberine collours so guessing its a transition model