Slufoot

Tiger Tractor, Keyser, WV

New member here, looks like a nice site.

I have two Tiger Tractors, both model 883. Was wondering if anyone else here has any Tigers of any model? Did a search but didn't find anything. 

A little background on Tiger, if I may.

Tiger Tractor Corp was located in Keyser, WV. They were an offshoot of the Inexco company as the Piedmont Tractor Company. The name was changed to Tiger when it was bought out from Inexco (or something like that). Tiger Tractor folded up around 1965. During their history between 1947 and 1965 Tiger is believed to have made about 14 different models ranging from 5hp to 9hp. There is some speculation they even made a crawler, or at least was designing one. None have even been found so far. 

Tigers are very rare but they are out there. Their design was not the latest or safest. I suspect that their laging behind, not keeping up with other designs, may have contributed to their demise. They are rare, but not worth any more than other similar tractors of the same time period. 

Thanks,

Kevin

011317 52restored01.jpg

011317 52restored05.jpg

011317 52restored06.jpg

011317 52restored03.jpg

20160930_141220.jpg

20170409_130059.jpg

Edited by Slufoot

Stormin, I'm in Wampum, PA, between Beaver Falls and New Castle, PA. 

A couple pics while being restored.

Chassis with engine, hood being painted, chain guard, old and new drive sprockets. 

20160930_141228.jpg

20161024_160627.jpg

20161108_201544.jpg

20161109_202514.jpg

Grand photo's and write up, Kevin. And that sprocket on the right looks a tad worn.

Just one point. You should have posted in Ride On's. Not to worry though. One of our mods will move it there. :thumbs: 

That sprocket is the original 1952 part that was installed when built. It was still working but when I tore everything down and found that I was stunned. That's when I decided to replace both sprockets, this one and the 40 tooth transmission input one. Tractor supply had the small one but I had to order the bigger one. 

Moving my post to Ride On is fine, wasn't sure which topic to use. Tiger Tractors usually fall under ODDBALLS & ORPHINS . 

Thanks for posting, good looking machine.

Like the extended Axle Shafts for I presume Dual Wheels or Weights?.

Could the bad Sprocket wear be down to lack of an enclosed lube system, or poor maintenance in the past?.

An interesting looking machine. The transmission is unusual, does it combine a clutch and gearbox? Also, does it have a differential or is it a fixed drive to both rear wheels?

I didn't realise that what I thought was a forum post had gone as a private message but here is the interesting reply

"

Very sharp eyes there Wristpin. 

That gearbox is a Snow Nabstedt 5108L   http://snpt.biz/model-5108c/  . It operates without any clutch and can be engaged in forward or reverse at full throttle. And can be thrown from F to R under full throttle. The company is still in business today. This gearbox was used on only two Tiger tractors, the 883 (which I have) and the 552. The 552 was exactly the same at the 883 except it had a 5hp engine and 12" rear wheels where the 883 had a 9hp engine and 16" rear wheels. Tiger called these "automatics".  They use 30 weight motor oil for transmission fluid. All other Tigers had regular gear boxes with clutches.

The tractor is very 'beastly'. It's well made and heavy. But it does have some draw backs, like NO BRAKES! None at all. A parking brake was an option but it was for holding on a hill, not for stopping. The rear drive is the weakest part of the tractor. It's a strange ratcher lock drive and when in good condition it works great. The only issue is that when both rear hubs lock up you cannot steer the tractor. Bth rear wheels drive in forward but only the right wheel drives in reverse. The tractor has a ton of umph, cam pull like a locomotive. It's slow and deliberate. But when the rear drive components wearout it's a royal pain. Parts have to be machined to be replaced. "