Cub Cadet

Kohler Recoil help please

Hi all, I have this kohler recoil for an engine I have but the spring is snapped and there may be some other parts missing. Has anyone ever rebuilt one? Or does anyone have one they would sell? Thanks

IMG_8709.jpg.a02aad8480864be67ccc720385dfdc8c.jpg

IMG_8708.jpg.d986d16700c1fbc8d40cbaa924449fea.jpg

I believe there were a few versions of retractable Starters fitted Ewan.

What is the Model and Serial number of your engine?. It may allow you/us to identify type and any missing parts

Also, it look's like the Spring broke at the 'Coiled' point (rusted solid) when someone tried to turn the engine over in the past.

It will be worth soaking the Spring in situ anyway to free it up and eventually remove it for inspection, as it may be saved. I've done this before and reformed the shape(s) on the broken end and are still working fine to date.

Heres the plate on the engine, Its a Kohler K141 6hp, Serial Number 1014, Spec Number 29287C. Its interesting to see that the plate says Kohler of Canada, I never noticed before, other kohlers we have say kohler of kohler. Does anyone know if this is an early engine?

IMG_8726.jpg.6f4061656f752c23c6d096b9c6d7a651.jpg

As Jonathan has said, worth keeping the 'Zebedee' factor at bay when removing it !.

Struggling to locate any info on the Canadian Kohler Serial number. U.S serial numbers appear to start with a Letter, then 6 digits ?.

The Spec nbr is listed as supplied to Howard Rotovators, so maybe S1g (Gareth) can shed some light on it when he's back on here?.

In the meantime, here's an exploded view of the constituent parts to check for any you maybe missing-

starter.JPG.dc4b27383e1f490b099cf0c2f1b201d6.JPG  

Thanks for that Richard, it appears I am missing quite a few important things, I need to have a another look but I don't have the pawls, the return spring/ spring retainer or the pulley and sheave but I do have a cast part that doesn't look like a part from that diagram. I will have a look later and post a picture.

Sorry, I've just edited my last. It was the Canadian Serial number I have trouble with identifying having only 4 digits.

The Spec number was the design Spec required or chosen by Howard Rotovators.

That recoil is similar to the ones used on some iron block Tecumsehs and I believe was bought in from Fairbanks Morse. A few years ago I needed a recoil spring for a 10 hip Tecumseh and bought it from the States; only to find that it was off the shelf in the UK as a Kohler part.

1 hour ago, Jarrovian said:

if you are going to either Heathersgill or Newby Hall I have a spare complete pull start may be surplus I will chuck it in truck

:jaw: We will definitely be at Newby Hall, that would be awesome as I think I have too many parts missing. Let me know what you want for it, thanks 

I will be at Newby Hall with an awning display in horticultural section and VHGMC banner see you there. Price not important if it helps a fellow member, whatever you think it is worth to you. Dave

5 minutes ago, Jarrovian said:

I will be at Newby Hall with an awning display in horticultural section and VHGMC banner see you there. Price not important if it helps a fellow member, whatever you think it is worth to you. Dave

Great, my RJ58 will be in the horticultural section, see you then! Thanks again :)