Ian

Wheel Horse GT-14+2

you need decent quality carbide burrs, last a lot longer...

I will add some to the shopping list Mark :)

I'm in awe of your engineering skills! I can paint and pretty things up fairly good, but you sir are the master when it comes to a build!!!

Thank you Sir, very good of you to say so :thumbs:

Hear hear :bow:

Thanks Paul.

I have a couple of metal burrs, similar to an end mill. They can really chew the metal out.

Hi Norm, next time I have to make some big holes through thick steel I am going to by a tool to do it... I'm just glad I finally have got the filing done!

I always love seeing your work Ian, but I am curious why you didn't just use a large drill bit?  :dunno:

Matt :USA:

Hi Matt, a simple reason... I don't have a big enough drill bit and didn't have any money to buy one..   As is the way with life no sooner had I finished the filing, I had some money again!  :rolleyes:

Bit it also means I've stuck to my "use what I have and not buy anything" thinking on this 3 point project :D

Thanks Nigel. Next time I need to drill any very big holes through thick steel I will give you a bell :thumbs:

Well chaps, it's looking like this 3 point saga is finally coming to the end.. Not much left to do now :)

Yesterday I finished welding up the lower arm mounts, and then turned my attention to the roll bar. Lot's of seam welding and plating over a few holes to make things stronger..

Here's the first two plates on top of the diagonal bit's ready to be welded on..

GT257_zps440fbd09.jpg

I had four round "open" bit's to make filler plates for..

GT258_zps34284006.jpg

I was going to cut some circular plates out until I spotted quite a few of these big thick washers (thank you Michael :thumbs: )..

Just the right size, but how would I hold them in position for welding?

GT259_zpsf902993f.jpg

By welding some off cuts into the washer holes I created my own mini metal mushroom garden :D

GT260_zps57c8d10c.jpg

Which gave me a way of holding the washers in place for welding..

GT261_zpsc64b0d75.jpg

Tacked in :thumbs:

GT262_zps9fa88c1c.jpg

With the welding all done the last job for yesterday was to get the bare metal painted to stop it rusting. If I had some black paint then I would of painted the roll bar with some.. But a bit of colour adds character.. It will soon get dirty and start to blend with with the rest of the GT anyway :)

GT265_zps0519fdde.jpg

The lower mounts could do with a second coat..

GT264_zps25d3dc85.jpg

Today's plan is to get the GT all bolted back together then enjoy not cutting, grinding, welding and filing thick steel for a short while :D

Glad to be of assistance.

Michael.

Hi Michael, your be pleased to know that big pile of nut's. bolt's washers, etc you gave me er... last year?  has come in very handy... And yes they are still piled up at the back of the bench :D

Already using the GT-14 for a work bench, and even managed to get some primer on the hood!  :lol:  Nice work as always Ian. :thumbs:

Hey Matt, the GT's hood was the only clear space I had!!   As luck would have it the brown paint washes off really easy with a bit of petrol of thinners...

I really been to get the shack and especially the bench tidy very soon!!

You know me guy's, I can't leave anything alone... This part of the pivoting lift thingy had been bugging me... It felt like it was the weak link..  Not any longer after I welded a couple of strengthening plates on :D

GT266_zps196a4494.jpg

With all 3 point parts made there was only one thing left to do... Bolt it all on the GT and give it a try..

GT270_zpsd5387abd.jpg

The traditional way of test a 3 point is to get someone to stand on it and see if it works without anything breaking... As I was the only chap in the shack and it's hard to stand on the 3 point, operate the lift control and take photo's/videos at the same time, I broke with tradition and got the 3 point to lift the back of the GT off the ground instead :D

GT267_zpsa9e5bc20.jpg

Rear wheel removal will be much easier in the future :D

GT268_zpsaa0d0dc1.jpg

I couldn't see how far it would lift as someone had put a roof in the way.. :)

GT269_zps2c288ea7.jpg

So yep I'm very happy with how the 3 point has turned out.. It feels nice and strong and works as it should :thumbs:

The only thing I do want to do is to weld a thick flat steel bar between the two lower arm mounts to stop them wanting to twist on the axles.. That shouldn't take long..

To remind me what the GT looks like I quickly placed the rear end panels on to have a look..

GT271_zps0126d534.jpg

The 3 point looks quite tidy and compact with the body panels on :D

GT272_zpsc821baa2.jpg

Very nice build Ian! :bow:  Having a 3 point with down pressure is a very convenient feature. :thumbs: 

I use mine quite a lot for moving my big trailer when it has a few tons on! Pulling the hitch down lifts the rear wheels and stops them scrubbing :D

Very nice build Ian! :bow:  Having a 3 point with down pressure is a very convenient feature. :thumbs:

Thanks Matt, yep a bit of down pressure is a handy thing on a 3 point :)

I use mine quite a lot for moving my big trailer when it has a few tons on! Pulling the hitch down lifts the rear wheels and stops them scrubbing :D

I was thinking the 3 point could make it a lot easier to tip and empty a trailer :)

Delighted how it all has turned out Ian , look forward to seeing a video of the action

Thanks Neil... As it happens the next 3 point video is being uploaded to MooTube as I'm typing this :D

That 3 point works great Ian! Good thing you didn't lift it much higher, as you might have removed the roof from the shack. :yankchain:

Matt

Thanks Matt.. I will admit that there may of been a "metal hitting roof" kind of sound the first time I tried raising the GT.. I may of been looking at the 3 point and not the roll bar at the time :D

just saw the last 3 point video on youtube.great work . i will be starting my own soon on my cub cadet.

Hi Chris, glad you liked the videos, I hope they help with your 3 point build..   For those that don't know a little while ago Chris asked via YouTube if I would do a short video on the 3 point on my 6x6..

Well, that short video turned into the 3 GT 3 point videos :D

Oh... The GT's roll bar is now matt black..   Well it should be when the paint drys :D

GT273_zpsa2292528.jpg