Rayp

Briggs & Stratton 5 HP part no. 63838 (now 691630)

Can anyone help me please with the dimensions of the above part or, even better supply me with the part.  It is a shoulder screw (about an inch long) which holds the pivot for the Governor lever link.  I haven't been able to locate one in the UK and whilst they are available in America the postage is astronomical (for a single screw).

Also the starter rewind assembly seems to have space for 6 ball bearings but there are only five.  Do I need six?

I forgot to state my engine number which is 130902 0228-01 75091910

Only five balls.

FG Adamsons are showing one 691630 in stock. They have both a retail and trade site. 

Edit. Should make it clear, 5 on the early single pawl starter and 6 for the later “ sealed” starter with 5 pawls.

Can't remember if those Balls for the Starter ratchet are 5/16" or 1/4". I had 6 in mine and I think the person in this link also had 6?-    -LINK-

Maybe luck of the draw, or 1 got lost, or 1 too many ? :dunno:.

If you want another one, carefully measure one, let me know the size and I'll see if I have one.

As for the Gov'nor Arm Clamp Bolt, I believe your Arm fits on a 1/4" diameter Governor Rod. Mine shown in the pic below is 3/16" (on an earlier 4hp model) and the Arm clamp width is 1/2"-

5b1470189702f_Govbolt.jpg.0043e9839876f9126a34b7f5f9d8b38d.jpg

It's a Horizontal Shaft Motor and the bolt is mushroom headed for clearance and a half nut to retain it. The bolt is 10 x 24 UNF .

The one sitting on the mounting bolt is that size (aero grade) and long enough (3/4") to fit a 1/2" clamp width.

Is this the size you need Ray, or must it be longer ?. 

Firstly, thankyou Wristpin for directing me to the one in stock which I have ordered.  As regards the ball bearings the Manual is silent so Richard may be right in that it's pot luck how many each engine has. I didn't remove the clutch cover, it just fell off and whilst I do not believe I lost a bearing I cannot be absolutely sure.  However I will be closely following Richard's advice in the LINK he gave as regards cleaning and reassembly of the clutch.

Turning to Richard's post, I realise I should have said that my engine is a vertical shaft.  His photo clearly shows how the Horizontal shaft differs from the vertical shaft in this respect.

When the screw arrives I will be able to measure it and I may then find that it is something that is available from a hardware stockist, although I am hoping the new screw will not 'disappear' like the old one, because I will be applying Loctite to it when I install it!

Despite investing in a good second-hand Rabone Chesterman  dial Vernier, I am still not very practiced in its use and when I measured one of the  bearings I got it to 312 thousands of an inch which seems somewhat short of 3/8 of an inch so perhaps my bearings are considerably worn (or my measurement is useless!).

29 minutes ago, Rayp said:

When the screw arrives I will be able to measure it and I may then find that it is something that is available from a hardware stockist, although I am hoping the new screw will not 'disappear' like the old one, because I will be applying Loctite to it when I install it!

Despite investing in a good second-hand Rabone Chesterman  dial Vernier, I am still not very practiced in its use and when I measured one of the  bearings I got it to 312 thousands of an inch which seems somewhat short of 3/8 of an inch so perhaps my bearings are considerably worn (or my measurement is useless!).

Sorry Ray, I may have misunderstood. I didn't know you had ordered a Screw/Bolt for the Arm/Clamp, thought you were looking for one.

Just needed clarity on the Clamp width, as I suspected yours was horizontal shaft engine.

As for the measurement,  0.312" is near as damn it 5/16" (0.3125"), so it depends if your dial shows in 0.0005" graduations, but as you've ordered one, I'll cancel the search.

Regards.

No Richard , you didn't misunderstand, when I started the topic I had searched without success for a screw in the UK and was still looking for one.  As it happened, the first reply to the Topic was from Wristpin who said that there was one such screw available at Adamsons. When I learnt that Adamsons had one and only one I immediately ordered it and am awaiting delivery.  I am anxious to get a screw because I need to mow a paddock before the grass gets too long. I will revisit my Vernier and check my measurement, but I would still like a sixth ball bearing if you do locate one.

Regards.

Ok, understand situ now. Searched my stock for 5/16" bearing balls, no luck, everything but. I need some as well to replace the detent balls for my W/Horse 8 speed rebuild.

So I ordered 10. If you're in a hurry, then also look to obtain from here- 5/16" Bearing Ball  . If you want to wait, I can send one or 2 on to you when they pitch up. 

Thanks for searching your stock and for your kind offer Richard.  Having looked at the Link you sent and upon reflection I thought it would be preferable to install 6 new ball bearings so I ordered 10.

The screw arrived and is fitted.  I  did try to measure the thread, without success and then saw the accompanying note.

P1010329.JPG