slf-uk

1971 Bolens Husky 1054

It must have been over a year since I have managed to find some tractor time and we currently do not have anything running. Instead of doing the sensible thing of looking at something that ran recently we decided to drag a tractor out of storage that last ran well over 10 years ago. It was such a long time ago I cant remember what was wrong with it and it is no good asking Joseph because he was not born then.

I really like this tractor because it is very original and has a hydraulic implement lift.

IMG_0209.JPG.2fea3b9d81be7dce7e59ef844c54f753.JPG

IMG_0211.JPG.d8b15b1d25c81d032069dcda47307c75.JPG

Joseph made an introduction video of the tractor

So far we have flushed the fuel tank, rebuilt the carb and fitted replacement throttle and carb cables, before we ran out of time. Hopefully I can make some time to continue with it.

Iain

Thanks guys, it is as original as it looks and so far I have only found one modification, which is on the wiring and easily sorted. It is great working on this tractor as all the nuts and bolt are easily removed, set to the right torque and all the washers are still in place. The only other tractor that I own that is in this condition is a Wheelhorse Raider 10.

So far I have replaced the throttle and choke cables which were seized, and got a spark to the engine. I needed to repair a wire that has been nibbled and replace the points and condenser. The exhaust valve is stuck open and it was a bear to get out. I had to smile when I removed the engine cowl as the bolt at the very bottom under the starter/generator was still in place, it has been missing on all my other tractors. It will be going back in.

Iain

When I started to clean up the parts I was surprised to see these markings on the block. I don't recall seeing them on other Wisconsin engine blocks

IMG_0235.JPG.49c52939c2f11b20dfbe8ef1dbfb6e50.JPG

In our parts of the country you tend to see this symbol on the back of cars owned by Born again Christians :huh:

My plan for this weekend between other jobs was to get the tractor running and out of the workshop as I need the space for something else. I failed on the main objective and things escalated quickly.

Friday evening I decided to fit the valves as I find these a little fiddly and can take an unpredictable amount of time. I found a new technique by using a pry bar upside down to push under the springs. The exhaust valve went well and before I started on the inlet I ensured both valve lifted as expected and the gaps were still good. I fitted the inlet valve and spring and turned the engine over but the valve only opened a little! Turning the engine over with a pry bar taking the spring load resulted in the valve opening and closing as expected. I decided to call it a night and have a think.

It didn't sort itself overnight :) so I felt the only option I had was to strip the engine down and see what was going on. I was expecting to see a damaged follower or similar by was shocked to see this

IMG_0256.JPG.6324f1bcb5ebcfcc816910d49024fd1b.JPG

It looks like this has been been broken for a while and could be something to do with the damage I found on the face of the inlet valve. The point on the shaft where it has broken has a ridge which suggest it has run like this. I don't know the history of the tractor but when I bought it did run but not very well.

I found this in the sump, not sure what it is/was and if it is related

IMG_0257.JPG.ec55f802ca6b47d385fda49278d3951b.JPG

Iain

On 08/07/2018 at 8:48 PM, Stormin said:

That I take it is not very big. Looks like a small bent nail to me.

It is not big and I believe you are right in that it looks like a small bent nail. I couldn't find any other evidence, which suggests that somehow this ended up in the engine, jammed a valve snapping the camshaft.

A few years ago I was given another Wisconsin TRA-10D engine in need of a rebuild, which is something I was planning to do at some point. As time is tight, I took that engine apart and pulled out the camshaft which is in good condition.

Iain

Fine work and video Joseph. A denuded pipe cleaner wire is about the only thing that will clean out the low speed jet. I've tried compressed air, soaking, boiling, vacuum, nothing but a fine wire seems to work. They make a retro fit for a better low speed idle, but I think you have to remove the seat, and that may require some drilling or machining. One thing is for certain,yoou will never get a good low seed idle with it partially plugged. The upside is that it extremely easy to do and once done you can repeat the process almost as quick as changing a fuel filter.

6 hours ago, HeadExam said:

Fine work and video Joseph. A denuded pipe cleaner wire is about the only thing that will clean out the low speed jet. I've tried compressed air, soaking, boiling, vacuum, nothing but a fine wire seems to work. They make a retro fit for a better low speed idle, but I think you have to remove the seat, and that may require some drilling or machining. One thing is for certain,yoou will never get a good low seed idle with it partially plugged. The upside is that it extremely easy to do and once done you can repeat the process almost as quick as changing a fuel filter.

Thanks, we will give it a try.

That looks to be a  very tidy, unmolested machine. They don't show up very often like that. Good aged patina.

Lucky you had a spare motor. Is the Camshaft solid?, it looks like it, and must have had a high load force to snap it.

Reminds me of Kohler 8hps where the hollow Camshaft breaks when it's hit by the Conrod.

Also,  Good Vid work there 👍.          

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 1:07 PM, Anglo Traction said:

That looks to be a  very tidy, unmolested machine. They don't show up very often like that. Good aged patina.

Lucky you had a spare motor. Is the Camshaft solid?, it looks like it, and must have had a high load force to snap it.

Reminds me of Kohler 8hps where the hollow Camshaft breaks when it's hit by the Conrod.

Also,  Good Vid work there 👍.          

The camshaft is solid and by the wear marks each side of the brake, I think it has been running broken. The face of the inlet valve was badly damaged so I suspect that may have had something to do with it.