joegrgraham

Ransomes mg2 Carb

Hi all, 

My mg2 is nearly done, just need to get it running! 

Got a nice spark, but fuel isn't getting up to the plug. 

The jets are clear and I'm just cleaning off the filter. 

Anything else I should look at? 

Thanks, 

Joe 

DSC_0516.JPG

Joe,

If the slides are badly worn the air may be entering down from the top rather than being drawn through the inlet.  If this is the case there will not be the correct quantity of petrol siphoned through the jets.  Try wrapping a plastic bag around the top to eliminate the possible source.

Have you got the air pipe and filter connected with the oil in the air filter bath.  If not the air flow at cranking may be to fast and not mixing with the fuel.

You need to ensure the fuel level is high enough in the float bowl.  Flood with the tickler.

Neil

Thanks chaps, 

I have the air filter in place, and I will make sure all the joints are properly sealed when I reassemble. 

Thanks for the plastic bag tip Neil, I will give that a try. 

Joe. 

Update, 

New gaskets both ends between Carb and engine, air filter filled with oil, new pipe between air filter and Carb and a rubber glove wrapped round the top of the Carb. The jets are clear, as is the gauze in the bottom of the Carb. 

With a drop of fuel down the plug hole, she will pop and bang and do maybe two or three rotations by herself, ( which is a start!) but she will not strike up properly. 

Any ideas? 

Joe

Joe,

Just brainstorming.

Are you totally sure you have the magneto timed correctly

The impulse release should be at TDC. with both valves closed.

Alternatively have you timed the valves to crank correctly?

Neil

Hi Neil, 

I will recheck it, but I'm happy that the mag timing is correct. 

I haven't touched the bottom end, so there will be no issues with crank/cam timing, plus it all looked correct whilst turning the engine with the head off. 

Joe. 

OK,

Are you convinced you have a good spark under compression not just in clear air?

You can get an indication of this from a spark tell tale in the lead on the installed plug or by using a spare plug touching the installed plug.

Neil

I'm happy with the spark, it fires readily with a drop of fuel in the plug hole. 

I will revisit the mag timing, but it still appears that the Carb is not sucking fuel up into the combustion chamber. 

I have had this problem several times when starting MG2 that have been stood for a long time. When starting try " bouncing" the engine against the compression a few times effectively repeating multiple inlet strokes before a pull over TDC. The other thing I always find needed is to flood the carb on the tickler to what you would think is excessive. It seems to take a few revs on flood petrol before it draws fuel up the venturi jets. 

IT IS ALIVE!!!! 😁😁😁😁

Thanks to a combination of holding the tickler open whilst cranking, and a lot more throttle than I had been giving it, she struck up and ran quite nicely. 

Now to put the fan back on and give her a proper run. 

Thank you everyone for your help, advice and input, I am one very happy boy right now! 

Joe.