maidinblighty

Hopefully it will be soon,,,,,,,, Can anyone identify this lathe

Hi all I could do with some advice  trying to find out the model, father has bought this lathe for me, I am hopefully collecting it on Thursday father bought it unseen. I am trying to get as much info as I can as moving it isnt going to be the usual carry.

From the photo I can just make out its a Colchester thats all I know.

Any ideas

Cheers 

Jordon

Colchester  metal working lathe.jpg

Cheers Alan and Stormin from what i have and the photos I have managed to find out it a Colchester Master on one of the pictures I can just make out the Master name on the top of the plate,

Based on that it should be 6.5" with a 36 inch between centers, been busy today got out trailer together with our equipment we might need. I am getting exited now one more sleep and an early 4am start ha ha bit like Christmas.

Will let you know how we get on when we get back tomorrow.

Till then cheers

Jordon

Colchester  metal working lathe 2.jpg

Hi all after a long day its finally home and yes it is a Colchester Master 6.5. I have found what i think is the model or serial number its Machine number F3/55745 its filthy and needs a good clean but I am very pleased with it. Nothing is seized and there is plenty of oil and grease on it, it also came with a small locker crammed with goodies, a set of collects and chuck for them, a 4 jaw chuck, large face plate there's a quick change tool post and quite a few cutter with the removable cutting bits. With it are a few other bits and pieces I am not yet familiar with so I will need to do some research. I dont do a lot of turning and have been making do with fathers old Grayson, that will now hopefully be sold to recoup some cash back of this one.

I will first get it wired up before I give it a general clean up and change the oils.
Everything turns ok when i turn the chuck so fingers crossed. I will need to see if its possible to get a manual for the wiring.
All in all a good day out, but glad to be back in the countryside though.

A few pics added to give you an idea.

Cheers 

Jordon 

SEP_0114.JPG

SEP_0089.JPG

SEP_0091.JPG

SEP_0100.JPG

SEP_0113.JPG

SEP_0106.JPG

SEP_0108.JPG

SEP_0120.JPG

53 minutes ago, Stormin said:

If it's been greased and oiled, someone has cared for it. The rusty face plate, chucks etc, soak in some diesel. They should clean up well.

Good idea Stormin I wont be able to get on them parts for a while so first thing in the morning I will put all the rusty bits submerged in a cut off 5 gallon drum of diesel.

great idea. Cheers

1 hour ago, Alan said:

Looks good Jordon.  :thumbs:  Cleaning it up will keep you busy for a while.

Cheers the list keeps getting longer, thank god winters coming nothing better than being tucked in the workshop with the heater on, lol

Will keep you posted to the progress

Jordon

Had a bit of a set back this morning, luckily i had not connected the lathe to the 3 phase, I think there is some thing missing in the control box , father thinks it could be a starter or something along those lines.

If anyone out there has a photo of what should be there I would appreciative if you could post one for me to have a look.

Meanwhile I shall make some enquirers as to how I proceed with this.

Onwards and upwards farther always says

Cheers 

Jordon

SEP_0126.JPG

It's a shame whoever removed the motor contactor (with overload protection?) didn't label the wiring to help with replacing or refitting it.

Looking at http://lathes.co.uk/colchester-catalogue-covers/ I see the switch on the front of the panel can select to run just the main motor or both the main motor & pump, there seems to be a separate switch for the light.

It's hard to tell if the small transformer is for the low voltage for the contactor coil and/or the lighting?

You may be able to buy a manual from http://www.lathes.co.uk/colchester/page2.html , you would need to contact them to find out if it is the correct one for your lathe.

Of course if your not sure about it, it's probably best to find a good electrician to sort it out.

David

Cheers factory and Wrispin I have be making some enquirers and it turns out I can sort it out with modern contactors once i know what to get, i can get the parts in, then get a an electrician to sort it out..

Not being put off by the situation today I have been doing a bit of cleaning (the weather scuppered planned work outside) the tools that came with the lathe Thanks to Stormin's tip about soaking them in diesel they cleaned up pretty good.

Cheers

Jordon

SEP_0128.JPG