HeadExam

Opinions wanted

I belong(ed) to a Chainsaw forum and  a new guy joined a few weeks ago. It's a small forum with no subscriptions so we use Flickr or other hosting site to post pictures on the forum so as to not incur extra web costs. Well new member sees some of my photos and favorites every photo (over 300) after he favs them he downloads them all into his gallery, I didn't have the no share feature box checked. I also noticed he had downloaded everyone elses photos and made the forum aware of it. He then made all the photos he had taken private and not viewable. I have no idea what his plans are for the photos, but I deleted my account at the forum (after 2500 posts) and left. I will not interact with a person of such low character. I don't care what others will or won't do, but I will do what I believe is right. I think it was wrong for him to take everyone's photos and he nor the forum will get the benefit of my membership there. The line in my sandbox is not crossed.

Maybe its some guy that has no life and bull***ts a lot, either way it wrong, I do save the odd photo if I think "thats a good idea" i will stick on the back burner but to take so many sounds dodgy to me.

Come straight out and ask them on the forum what they want them all for  thats what father thinks

Good luck 

Jordon

I did come out and say something, no one wanted to respond. I politely stated what he was doing and queried him and the group as to what end he was moving toward. It is possible that he might want to recreate the website, he might have downloaded the posts to go with the pictures. He also might want to put all the photos on Reddit or Pinterest as a way to make money through image search hits. I have no idea, but they were my personal photos. I don't have a problem of some one taking a photo here or there, but to abscond with my entire photo album was egregious and I wont stand for that type of behaviour. Only one other member had shared as many photos as I or had as many posts. People there were my friends, but if you wont stand for anything you end up falling for everything.

You have to be very careful these days with pictures taken from a mobile phone. In addition to the picture, digital cameras record something called EXIF data which can include GPS location data (depending on the make/model of your phone). Some forums automatically strip the GPS location data from pictures when you load them but others, like this one does not. This means when you post pictures of your collection you are effectively telling the world the exact place you store them. Cut/paste the information to Google Earth or maps and you will get a detailed aerial and road view of your storage location and directions on how to get there.

Depending on your appetite for risk you may like me what to strip this data out before posting. I open pictures in Paint, save as a .PNG (which does not have the ability to hold GPS data) then save back to as a JPG. I have lobbied forums where I am a member, to change the options to strip out the data and most have.

I don't want to cause alarm, just provide some information that you may not be aware of, to facilitate choices.

Iain

3 hours ago, slf-uk said:

You have to be very careful these days with pictures taken from a mobile phone. In addition to the picture, digital cameras record something called EXIF data which can include GPS location data (depending on the make/model of your phone). Some forums automatically strip the GPS location data from pictures when you load them but others, like this one does not. This means when you post pictures of your collection you are effectively telling the world the exact place you store them. Cut/paste the information to Google Earth or maps and you will get a detailed aerial and road view of your storage location and directions on how to get there.

Depending on your appetite for risk you may like me what to strip this data out before posting. I open pictures in Paint, save as a .PNG (which does not have the ability to hold GPS data) then save back to as a JPG. I have lobbied forums where I am a member, to change the options to strip out the data and most have.

I don't want to cause alarm, just provide some information that you may not be aware of, to facilitate choices.

Iain

After I found out the guy was taking my photos. I did find (not easy) the settings that allowed me to change privacy settings and strip EXIF data, but of course the horse had already left the barn. The upside is I could only hope that someone would have the misfortune of showing up here on my place.