Anglo Traction

What was the earliest British Ride On?

Currently working on an early 1920s pile of rust and dirt and is/was legitimately a Ride on.

Were there any machines made in UK before then that filled the criteria of a Ride On?.

I/c engine powered,  seat and steering that was mass produced for the homeowner market for gardening type jobs.

I'm doubtful of any earlier examples based on dates of patent for clutches, but would always be glad to know of an earlier example .

I'll ask the same question on RS to see what was floating around in the early 20th century that resembled a Ride On in the U.S.

Haven't got any pics of the whole unit,  it's in bits. I'm head down dealing with the engine assessment (when I'm not prepping the C-120 for sale).

If it can't be bought back to life, then it will just be large boat anchor, or garden sculpture potential. The latter was the case for many years, hence the corrosion.

The Magneto is clean as it was covered from the elements. Highly unlikely to get a spark out of it.   

Confirmed the engine date is 1922 with the serial letter/numbers and only have a couple of reference shots of the engine for what they are worth- 

DSC01872.JPG.37cb45d9cd634253925ef35f910a30d1.JPGDSC01874.JPG.6b61a50d32fbe1ee881e05999320196c.JPG

Villiers engine I see. Rather intrigued  by the chain driven fan.

Norm, think that the birthday celebrations have affected your eyesight , the fan is on the crank !!😋

9 hours ago, Wristpin said:

Norm, think that the birthday celebrations have affected your eyesight , the fan is on the crank !!😋

I know. That's why I'm intrigued as to why.

I know. That's why I'm intrigued as to why.

But its not a chain driven fan, just happens to be on the crankshaft that's driving something else. Similar arrangement that used on several old mowers such as Atco Standards.

IMG_1150 (Medium).JPG

On 9/29/2018 at 7:01 PM, Stormin said:

Villiers engine I see. Rather intrigued  by the chain driven fan. e:yankchain:

Nothing special Norm. Fan fixed to Sprocket on the Crank. Fan for additional cooling due partially enclosed compared to the exposed situation it would normally be in when fixed to a motor bicycle.

On 9/30/2018 at 1:52 AM, Fix'em all said:

Presumably this is a 172cc 2 stroke. The fan looks heavy enough to replace the normal flywheel  that would have been used if fitted on a motorbike

Had to check the 172cc engine out in the Books. That was an up-rated engine first produced in 1924. The first prototype engine went to a French Racing team (Monet Goyon) and it powered them to winning the French GP of that year. Known as the  'Sports' initially, then 'Sports' with the Auto Lubrication system, then Super Sports T.T and lastly the 'Brooklands'.

However, I digress. This engine is the first 2 stroke 269cc engine designed and built by Villiers (in 1913). Fitted to a multitude of Motor cycle makes, direct belt or chain drive initially. 

Known as the Mk I (should be roman numerals) up to 1916, then Mk II, Mk III. Mk IV is claimed to be the first introduction of their Flywheel Magneto, as prior to this, they used an external chain driven Bosch Mag, but the war got in the way of supply.

This engine,  the MkV  was discontinued from Sept 1922.  They built 3 other engine designs (from 1923) -  150, 250 and 350cc as the Mk VI.

So everything hangs on this being in working order. It is complete and has the original Carb with it. Also has the Villiers patent Free Engine Clutch.

All these bits will need to work ok when fixed.

Good news is that my concoction of fluid  for loosening bit up worked on the siezed piston/crank after just 1 hour ! and found it was 'freed up' by accident !.

So need to remove that nut on the end by the Fan first without any stress on the crank, then pull the cylinder to check the bore/rings and piston.

Might have a source of used spare parts too. Also may have a replacement option for the HT Coil (same style). 

Made some progress on dismantling inspection of this engine. The nut came off the fan end ok. Looks promising so far. With a freed up crank 'n' piston, proceeded to carefully pull the cylinder.

Quite surprised to find the internal condition pretty good before cleaning.........thought you may like to see what the size of the Piston rings used to be 96 years ago-

DSC01888.JPG.ac361540483d918c79adf49d8b93f1f0.JPG

To give you an idea, the bore diameter is 70mm. 2 of the 3 rings were stuck in their grooves initally, but just after I took this, they'd gently sprang out and all good so far.

Quick look at the uncleaned bore is also promising which is dead smooth as far as can see-

DSC01890.JPG.2f11ab61b0056041374eb8da26b45e14.JPG 

No luck so far with finding earlier examples of garden size machines. Found the earliest Ride on Mower was 1902 made by Ransomes for Large Estate properties - LINK-.

Nothing for yer average gardener use though.

I'll stop this topic now and start one on the engine first if it's a good 'en, as it will be the oldest one I've ever done and there is absolutely nothing I can find out about them.

Bit more info on the Carb though and the Clutch will be a real challenge.

The rest of the machine will be a long job if it's salvageable and may warrant it's own topic.

Regards.