HeadExam

Us Yanks Know How to Customize a Rolls Royce

Have to go back to the 70's Alain to beat the first Custom Roller 'of-a-sort'. I saw this thing back around 1973 at the Brighton Speed Trials along the marine Parade. He had engine issues at the time and only made 86mph over the standing 1/4 mile. Standing 20 feet away from it made your stomach resonate when at 1/2 throttle.  

Only 27 litres.......... (Merlin from a Tank). Couple of links here-

Also a response from Rolls- LINK

1 hour ago, Anglo Traction said:

Have to go back to the 70's Alain to beat the first Custom Roller 'of-a-sort'. I saw this thing back around 1973 at the Brighton Speed Trials along the marine Parade. He had engine issues at the time and only made 86mph over the standing 1/4 mile. Standing 20 feet away from it made your stomach resonate when at 1/2 throttle.  

Only 27 litres.......... (Merlin from a Tank). Couple of links here-

Also a response from Rolls- LINK

I was there that weekend Richard, as I remember Johns crew chef was driving a shadow with all his tools and kit thrown in the back

1 hour ago, the showman said:

I was there that weekend Richard, as I remember Johns crew chef was driving a shadow with all his tools and kit thrown in the back

:thumbs:

A sunny Sunday I recall, about 70 degrees F. Near the start point for me/us. He had to remove the rear silencers for some reason to do the run(s)?. I seem to remember it being more pink in colour, also shown on the cover of Custom Car Mag earlier in the year.  Ah!, those were the days. Cars, Girls and country Pubs to chill out at.     

That Rolls crew cab looks great, I'd happly use it every day if I could afford the fuel :lol:

11 hours ago, Stormin said:

Is that the one that went up in flames in Sweden if I remember right?

I think that was "The Beast" Mk1 Norm that went up in flames.. If I remember rightly it was kinda based or used bit's of a Capri body?

The Beast Mk 2 as above used to have a Rolls Royce grill, JD on the current grill stands for John Dodd.

The story (of which I expect there are many) goe's, John Dodd was driving The Beast abroad (Spain or Germany, I can't remember) on a motorway and flew past a Porsche at a very high speed..

The next day the said Porsche owner went to a Rolls dealership asking for the new Rolls estate!

This is when RR got the 'Orse about Mr Dood using their grill on The Beast..

The court hearing was in London, so every day of the hearing Mr Dodd drove The Beast to the court in the center of London :D

I've heard The Beast is still alive and well, now living with Mr Dodd in Spain but it does come over to the UK once a year for an MOT..

Disclamer...   All the above is based on on a fading memory and only 2 coffees so far today, so it might not be 100% acurate..

eS1UFyH.jpg 

Not customised in the true sense!! This was just one of the Rolls and Bentleys owned by a local scrap dealer.  First task after delivery new from the factory was to remove the rear seats and weld steel plate in to carry the gas cutting equipment he carted around with him.  My late step father in law worked for him and the cars got a good bashing and a lot of welding and plating was involved!  Rolls were not too happy about it.

Pete.

Edited by bankman