gocatgo

Ohlsson & Rice Gear Reduction Oil Requirements

Howdy All,

Thanks for all the information about the O&R engines, I have gained a ton of knowledge here.... I have gathered up three 1 H.P. O&R engines to date for a Lil Petro micro mini bike restoration, learned a bunch about the engines here. I saw the thread with the gear case tear down and reassembly and he used Lubriplate 105 for the assembly, but is it also used for operation?, or was oil added to the gear case? It has been suggested that 30W oil was used in these gear cases and there is both a fill and a level hole on the case. My main concern is to do no harm. Looking for any insight you guy;s might have.....Thanks agin for all the great info.

Hugh Murphy Omaha, NE

56064952680__22135489-BF05-4383-B029-BD8C1B3511BC.JPG

56064702343__F0A92E44-FDCF-47C4-AACD-F928695580E1.JPG

IMG_9782.jpg

I'm pretty sure that they call for Lubriplate and that's what I've always used. Might not be a bad idea to put a little oil in it to liquefy the mixture a bit. These cases are pretty leaky and would probably lose anything that is much lighter than Lubriplate. 

Hey,

Thanks for the reply, been reluctant to open the cases to see whats inside and not sure where I would get another gasket if I damage it. Does the clutch run in the grease or is it in a seperate cavity? Also what are the chances that that lubriplate has stood the test of time....Liked your suggestion to add a little oil to get things liquefied, I suppose I should disassemble and see what I got.... Engine does not appear to have much run time if any. I have been told it is a "wet clutch" but after looking at the posts here that seems unlikely...Thank you for the help....

Hugh

Disassemble, clean and re-lube. Do it over a tray to avoid losing small parts. The gaskets usually come off whole, pretty easily. If not, buy some gasket material and make your own. Don't be afraid, you need to dig in to these in order to get them running.

On 10/8/2018 at 9:49 PM, Webhead said:

I'm pretty sure that they call for Lubriplate and that's what I've always used. Might not be a bad idea to put a little oil in it to liquefy the mixture a bit. These cases are pretty leaky and would probably lose anything that is much lighter than Lubriplate. 

I’ve been using Lubriplate 105 grease on all the gear cases I’ve opened up so far. I’m also wondering if it would be good to add a little oil to help make sure the grease doesn’t get spun out of the teeth to the edges of the case and remain there. Has anyone else done a grease/oil mixture? If so, what amount and viscosity? I was thinking of adding a teaspoon or so of APG 90 gear oil (like what is used in the gear box of a small high power outboard) or would it be better to use a lower viscosity engine oil?

I recall a posting from a David where one of the O&R drills called for using oil in the gear case.

That Lubriplate 105 liquefies pretty fast with just a little heat so I'm sure the friction of the gears takes care of that. Then most of it solidifies again but there's still an oily liquid part. Unless you plan on using them for doing actual work, I wouldn't worry about it at all. If it's just going to sit on a bench for display, probably best not to have the oil leak out

Great point John. I plan to have these mostly on the shelf and the occasional short run for fun so probably no need to worry about adding any oil, especially since as you point out it will likely just leak out. Thanks!

On 7/10/2019 at 1:06 PM, CNew said:

I recall a posting from a David where one of the O&R drills called for using oil in the gear case.

That would be the Bridges Mini-Mota drill, which predates the change to only using grease and removal of all gearbox oil holes from the castings.

David