pmackellow

Multiplying Mowett Mustangs !!

Whilst at the Kingsfold Rally with our Mowett Mustang ride on, I got talking to a chap who offered me another rolling chassis of a Mustang for not a great deal of money.

I went to collect it last Saturday from down on the South Coast, the chap also had a complete one with a home made deck that he also agreed to part with, also a rather rare Mustang bag for the original mowing deck - these decks are notorious rotters so not surprising that they are soon disposed of !

Here's some photos...

Photo 1 shows the first Mustang at Kingsfold, photo 4 shows our dog Bella checking out the new arrivals...

P9300057.JPG

PA130029.JPG

PA130030.JPG

PA130031.JPG

PA130032.JPG

PA130033.JPG

PA130034.JPG

PA130035.JPG

PA130036.JPG

PA130037.JPG

PA140005.JPG

Who were the UK importers / distributors for the Mowett and what would be the time frame when they were being bought for regular use?  Other than on the front cover of a US generic garden machinery repair manual  I never saw on in all my time as a dealer.   

Not sure about who the importers were, I did find this advert in an old UK gardening magazine...

From the little I have found about these they were built from the early 70's until the mid 80's, by the engine numbers the two I have are 1981 and 1982...

PA180023.JPG

PA180025.JPG

6 hours ago, pmackellow said:

Probably is !! :D

Just kidding, the Mowett was pretty stout for a low cost machine. Sometimes we forget that economy machines were available to the consumer even when  the best machinery in the world was being made as well, however most of these economy made products disappeared rather quickly, deemed not worthy of saving. Now we see that there is an interest and a worth in them and there are very few around.

With the new shed now in place and being fitted out, work on Mustang 3 is on hold for now

However the first shed is now the "Yellow and White" shed, so all things Cub Cadet and Mowett Mustang will live there

Mustangs 1 and 2 now up on the raised platform...

PA240008.JPG

PA240011.JPG