halftonner

Westwood Gazelle Cutting Deck bearings stuck

Hi all, found the forum by googling for Westwood Gazelle :D

My problem is the deck - it's a 36" square sides gazelle deck from a 1982 westwood gazelle 11hp lawn tractor. On investigation, one of the spindles rattles around like crazy and after getting it apart as far as I can by removing the blade and top pulley - I found the top bearing had lost its seal and sorta fell apart ... the bottom bearing is just as noisy and even more wobbly...BUT ... I can't seem to get the blade boss off the spindle :( ... any clues how to remove it, or any clues how to get the spindle out of the deck so I can replace the bearings?  ... Or am I better off modifying the deck (which I'd rather not do as it has no rust holes and looks original). I'm at the moment 'cutter-deck-less', with a very nice condition main tractor :(

Sorry if that is a bit rambling as a question, but in short ... how do I get the spindles out from the deck?

Done a few sets of Westwood bearings,  Some times the only way is a large hammer & drive the shaft out from the top. Protect the top of the shaft & the threads! I either put an old bolt in or a punch. Where gloves & support the deck. I know it sounds evil but thit can be the only way some times.