Cub Cadet

New Toy MF7E

Hopefully it’ll be there, for once I think I might try and keep one original :P although it has been painted over at some point, they did make a fairly good job of it. Going to need to be stripped, cleaned and rebuilt first, will be a winter project :D

20 minutes ago, harryt said:

Nice find Ewan :thumbs:

Any idea who made it for Massey Ferguson, or did they make it themselves?

It was a company called Duracorp I think, they made a tractor called a moto mower and then they were rebadged for Massey Ferguson, I’ve been speaking to someone in the US and he said they rarely see them for sale over there. Very desirable although the moto mowers are more common. 

1 hour ago, Stormin said:

Well done, Ewan. Looks in reasonable condition. Shouldn't take to much work to tidy up. :thumbs:

hopefully not, going to need all the electrics looking at, the front axle is very worn, needs quite a few new oil seals, and i suspect new bearings in the dynastart :)

9 hours ago, Cub Cadet said:

hopefully not, going to need all the electrics looking at, the front axle is very worn, needs quite a few new oil seals, and i suspect new bearings in the dynastart :)

That's your Christmas break sorted then. :D

Duro Corporation made the first Massey 4 wheel mowers, followed by Beaver MFG which built the first year MF-10 in 1965, In 1966 taking the Beaver MFG design AMP of West Des Moines, Iowa built the MF-10 and  in 1967 added the MF12H Hydrostatic model. The MF series continued with 8-16 hp models. The Tecumseh powered tractors were MF-7,  MF-8, MF-10, and MF-12 hp models and Kohler powered machines were the MF-14 and MF-16. July of 1976 was the last of the MF series and the newer 1000 series (1200, 1600, 1450, 1650, 1655, and 1855) appeared in the fall of 1976 as the 1977 model year, that series only had a 2 year run until 1979 and there wan't another Massey mower for nearly 10 years after that. The next Massey tractors were built by Case/Ingersoll and were copies of there 200 and 400 series mowers, that run also only lasted two years and then Simplicity was contracted to build Massey mowers in the late 80s early 90's and have ever since. Massey never actually produced any lawn and garden machine themselves.

6 hours ago, HeadExam said:

Duro Corporation made the first Massey 4 wheel mowers, followed by Beaver MFG which built the first year MF-10 in 1965.

So that puts Ewan's Executive model pre '65. What hp is the engine,  Ewan? Does it still have an ID plate? Maybe you can date it off the engine number?

2 hours ago, Stormin said:

So that puts Ewan's Executive model pre '65. What hp is the engine,  Ewan? Does it still have an ID plate? Maybe you can date it off the engine number?

They made the executive model in 1963, 1964 and 1965 I think, each year there was quite a few changes to the styling. I am pretty sure it is a 1963 7E (executive 7hp) as there is a few things such as the aluminium steering wheel and the foot pedals that make me think it is the 63 model. Unfortunately someone cut off the piece of metal which went at the top of the hoodstand, this had the serial and the model number on it. Very frustrating! Also the engine serial number plate on these Masseys were positioned on the top engine cowl, this has also been removed at some point. So at the moment we are unaware if this is a 7 or 8hp engine. It looks identical to my cub 7hp engine apart from this one has a fuel pump, does anyone know if this was an option on a 7hp kohler? Is there any other markings that will help me deterring the HP without pulling the head?

Thanks 

15 hours ago, Cub Cadet said:

They made the executive model in 1963, 1964 and 1965 I think, each year there was quite a few changes to the styling. I am pretty sure it is a 1963 7E (executive 7hp) as there is a few things such as the aluminium steering wheel and the foot pedals that make me think it is the 63 model. Unfortunately someone cut off the piece of metal which went at the top of the hoodstand, this had the serial and the model number on it. Very frustrating! Also the engine serial number plate on these Masseys were positioned on the top engine cowl, this has also been removed at some point. So at the moment we are unaware if this is a 7 or 8hp engine. It looks identical to my cub 7hp engine apart from this one has a fuel pump, does anyone know if this was an option on a 7hp kohler? Is there any other markings that will help me deterring the HP without pulling the head?

Thanks 

The Kohler 7hp (k161) and 8hp (k181) both had a bore of 2.938 inches. The only difference between the two engines is the stroke, with the k161 being 2.500 an the k181 being 2.750

No way of telling what size it is visually. Maybe worth pulling the head to check it anyway,  just to see the condition and know what it is for sure.

Can only offer you some engine spec info. Records of Kohler engines supplied to Moto Mowers show the following info-

K141 Spec 29218 6.25hp.  K161 Specs 28635 7hp, 28858 and 28861.

Could not find any other engine type supplied to Moto Mowers, unless they obtained a batch of a Basic Model (off the shelf). 

Is that a Delco Remy starter generator?. You could search the parts list manuals for those specs to see if they show the mountings etc for it.

Hope  it's the original engine and not a swap in. 

9 hours ago, HeadExam said:

The Kohler 7hp (k161) and 8hp (k181) both had a bore of 2.938 inches. The only difference between the two engines is the stroke, with the k161 being 2.500 an the k181 being 2.750

Thanks Alain

7 hours ago, Anglo Traction said:

No way of telling what size it is visually. Maybe worth pulling the head to check it anyway,  just to see the condition and know what it is for sure.

Can only offer you some engine spec info. Records of Kohler engines supplied to Moto Mowers show the following info-

K141 Spec 29218 6.25hp.  K161 Specs 28635 7hp, 28858 and 28861.

Could not find any other engine type supplied to Moto Mowers, unless they obtained a batch of a Basic Model (off the shelf). 

Is that a Delco Remy starter generator?. You could search the parts list manuals for those specs to see if they show the mountings etc for it.

Hope  it's the original engine and not a swap in. 

Thank you! I will have to investigate a bit more when I return from uni at christmas, yes it is a Delco Remy starter. I didn't have the time to look at the engine too much when I was home but I think it is the original, I'm always sceptical when someone says the 'tractor was running 5 years ago', I always wonder if it was put away as something broke, I guess I will find out when I strip it down. 

3 hours ago, Cub Cadet said:

Thanks Alain

Thank you! I will have to investigate a bit more when I return from uni at christmas, yes it is a Delco Remy starter. I didn't have the time to look at the engine too much when I was home but I think it is the original, I'm always sceptical when someone says the 'tractor was running 5 years ago', I always wonder if it was put away as something broke, I guess I will find out when I strip it down. 

I call it Tractor SFU; Special Forensic Unit. You literally have to go back in time and find out what each and every owner/operator did to the machine and how to remedy the issues and repairs. These types of enquiries are not unlike scientific enquiries you will do at Uni. I've done this on 30+ machines and it never gets easy, but the knowledge you attain does transfer into real world problem solving. You're going to be very successful.