johnnie60

hayter osprey

hi to every one just joined thanks for accepting me ,i have a hayter osprey rough cut i have started to strip the mower down the only thing that i can see i can t get it out of gear can anybody advise me what to do ?

many thanks john

Hi John & welcome to the group. I believe these have a clutch with a friction plate & it has probably all rusted together. You need to strip it without damaging  the components  if possible. I have never worked on one of these, but assume it may have an asbestos clutch plate that won't want to be soaked in wd40 if you want to re-use it. I am sure one of the other members will be able to give you more detailed advice, but a couple of photos will be useful if you can.

As pointed out by Fix'em all the Osprey does have a fibre clutch plate that may contain asbestos and this can absorb moisture and rust to either of the pressure plates  - one of which is part of the left hand wheel hub and the other keyed to the axle. Jack the machine up , remove the split pin from the nut in the left hand wheel centre and undo the nut . At this point the wheel and hub should pull off the axle . 

If it wont come off, try hitting the inflated tyre with a mallet. If that doesn't work, get back to us. 

This may be useful.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e2rmk54zl2msh1k/Hayter Osprey and 21 0001.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5sjvlcenhz6ghfe/Hayter 21 %26 Osprey Gearboxes0001.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0puak77v28dnjpl/Hayter 21 %26 Osprey clutch adj20001.pdf?dl=0

thanks wrist pin for your help i done everything you said, it stripped down great there is 1 clutch plate is stuck to the pressure plate and the other clutch is free are the 2 clutch plates supposed to be free   ,on the bottom of the gearbox there is a 4 bolt flange plate i undone the the bolts and took the plate off no oil in the box at all i turned the flange plate over there was a bearing there that was seized up it is all free now and running great thanks for your help john 

The two clutch linings should be bonded to the steel centre plate. When damp gets between the linings and the centre  plate it rusts and breaks the bond . When we were servicing and repairing Hayter 21s and Ospreys on a regular basis we used Loctite Multibond to glue the linings back on, quite expensive but reliable. There may be other suitable adhesives available now.

Some of the worm gear boxes were serviceable with an oil level plug while others were “sealed for life” .  The recommended lubricant is an SAE 90 gear oil. Note, a plain gear oil and not an EP grade, extream pressure, oil designed for Hypoid gears which can be detrimental to “yellow metal” worm gears.