Stormin

C-125 Rebuild.

My C-125 have done stirling work since I got it about 7 years ago. Mowing the green and verges where I live and towing trailer loads of wood. The only things I have done to it, is to replace the head gasket a couple of years back, a stack exhaust and recently AG rear tyres. It does use some oil though. Having to top it up after a couple of hours running.

This how she looked when purchased. There is a rear discharge deck that I had to rebuild in the first year of ownership. You can see it to the right of the workshop doors.

DSCF0040.JPG.b2551176b2512c4de9a8405ef87c2bb0.JPG

For some time I've been saying I'll give it a good going over. Having acquired some engine parts of Richard (Anglo Traction), I thought I'd better make a start ready for next season. It won't be a show room job, so don't expect one. Bit pointless when it's a worker, but an engine rebuild and a tidy up. Plus anything else I find needs doing..

So today the strip down began.

P1020581.JPG.92472c166a689b5d4e04c687f09d6f2e.JPG

P1020582.JPG.19774f413a90beb72e699635fba0b2df.JPG

P1020583.JPG.0d7b6ffdef1dc911b073bcd52740c7f6.JPG

Bonnet/hood removed. Wiring to the engine disconnected along with cables and seat plus fender.

A bit more done this morning.

Engine had been left for the oil to drain. Before it could be lifted off, petrol was drained and fuel line removed. Also fuel tank. Then foot plates and tin ware off the sides.

Engine lifted off.

P1020585.JPG.bd76939ef91f22c7d817e9c85889c40e.JPG

The anti vibration plate was removed next and the engine left on the gantry and wheeled to one side. I'll see to the rest of the tractor before I tackle that.

As usual the pin holding the steering wheel refused to budge. So the top half of the tower was removed along with wheel and instrument panel. Who's bright idea it was to rivet the control levers on I don't know. But he could do with a swift kick up the b******e.

P1020589.JPG.832918631c955048c47951dd47a7a736.JPG

Not sure how far I want to go with the strip down yet. A good pressure wash is next, then I'll get it on the bench.

3 hours ago, HeadExam said:

Yes very nice Gantry, I may build one my self. very compact and handy

It was made by The Showman. Surplus to requirements as he fell heir to an engine crane. So it found it's way North. :D

Todays progress.  Rest of tower removed and up on the operating table.

P1020592.JPG.5f98976e8d298cb55e8cade106383073.JPG

P1020595.JPG.dfd7a01fad0fed53d54cf1882af3c487.JPG

P1020597.JPG.1f205ccdd6dd3837d8972e2affed9669.JPG

I think someone has been getting carried away a tad. It was never meant to go this far. Also ideas are forming that shouldn't be. :wacko:

Trans' and chassis separated this morning and lift arm, steering rod, drive belt tension pulley removed from chassis. Removed input pulley from trans'. Then the fun started.

Wheel hub came off the brake drum side with just a few taps. The drive side was a bit stubborn to say the least. Pullers would just not shift it. So up to the farm.

After a good pressure wash to get most of the 30+ years of caked on crud off, the hub was introduced to the oxy' acet' torch. Still wouldn't budge. We have a set of hydraulic pullers up there but someone borrowed them and not returned them yet. Went to retrieve them and no-one there. So home I came.

With the trans back on the bench and hub cooled down, I decided to give it another go. Little by little it started to move. Took about half an hour but eventually the hub came off. I could then see why it was so difficult. The drive shaft was scored. I'm guessing some one had knocked the hub on with one of the securing screws, not quite clear of the shaft. All cleaned up now and the hub slides on nicely.

I then tackled the remaining crud with scraper and wire brush. Just needs decreasing now. I need to get some primer before painting starts.

I've also managed to get the roll pin out of the steering wheel and column. Been squirting it with penetrating fluid for the last few days. Now all I've got to do is get the wheel off the column.

Found a complete set of seals this morning, so they were fitted. A bit dubious of the input shaft one, but when the trans' is mated with the chassis, I'll fill the trans' with hydraulic oil. Turning over for a while will show if the seals are sealing. 

Apart for a bit scraping and wire brushing of chassis and some bits, that's all up to press.

Oh! And no photo's. :hide:

Got chassis and trans degreased and primed today. Not the ideal weather for painting, as though dry it's a tad cold for spraying outside. with a east breeze.

P1020598.JPG.25d87469c2b0639081669717c6fb587c.JPG

P1020599.JPG.9e175118b478ae0df395e5df91a632c0.JPG

Looks like I've missed a bit. Best go and do it before any comments from a certain quarter. :rolleyes:

On 11/18/2018 at 12:43 PM, Stormin said:

Found a complete set of seals this morning, so they were fitted. A bit dubious of the input shaft one, but when the trans' is mated with the chassis, I'll fill the trans' with hydraulic oil. Turning over for a while will show if the seals are sealing. 

Apart for a bit scraping and wire brushing of chassis and some bits, that's all up to press.

Oh! And no photo's. :hide:

reminds me of radio, you have to use your imagination, that's good

Paint's taking a long time to dry due to the cold and damp air. But progress is being made.

Chassis and trans' back together though still a bit tacky in places.

P1020603.JPG.ae613fde5eca7b859f482d9afec2bf72.JPG

Special dispensation from SWMBO to bring smaller parts into the kitchen to dry. :D

P1020605.JPG.d8e64a6f39ba74647b383d25ef075c55.JPG