Tom

Barford atom

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share my barford atom, I bought it quite a while ago and not too long ago re-painted it. I actually bought a mower off of the bay of E and when I collected it they asked if I'd be interested in a walk-behind tractor, so I went and looked at it and ended up buying it at what I thought was a very good price. This was as I bought it:

1-1.jpg

It came with a villiers engine which didn't run, it also came with a plough, cultivator, crumbler and wheel weights. I took it apart and was left with this:

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

I ended up hand painting this one use Crown paint, I used flame red which turned out to be a very nice red.

5-1.jpg

I then started to reassemble it.

6-2.jpg

I had a pretty new 8hp briggs sitting at home unused so decided to put this on it while I got the villiers running.

7-3.jpg

I then painted the plough and had a play with it.

photo7.jpg

Since then I've only really played with it and it's just sat in my shed, it's nowhere near up to show standard hence why I'd like to strip it down and repaint it. I'm also hoping to start on the villiers engine soon and get that fitted, it's on the to-do list!

Thanks for looking,

Tom

Nice machine!

Crown flame red.....

Would you believe it, my C-101 is painted with that, closest match I could find to late 70s wheel horse red!

It's not drip, but I thinned it and sprayed it on with the hvlp gun :D

Well done tom, another machine saved !!

Thank you, it's a nice feeling to think that you have saved a piece of history from rusting to nothing(which by the looks of things was what was going to happen to it!)

That looks like a very handy machine Tom, nice save :thumbs:

Thanks Ian, it's a great little machine, it's ever so simple to work but quite an animal once it gets going!

Your a talented younge man Tom , nice Job

Thank you very much Neil although I am far from it!

Nice machine!

Crown flame red.....

Would you believe it, my C-101 is painted with that, closest match I could find to late 70s wheel horse red!

It's not drip, but I thinned it and sprayed it on with the hvlp gun :D

Thanks Mark, it's actually a very nice red, maybe I should have painted my 856 with it, hmm! I may have to repaint one of my other horses with it,!

tom don't let the quality of your finished machine stop you get out and enjoying it, like others say saving the machine was the important thing so get it out take it to the rallies and working days. 

Thanks for the positive comments guys! Hopefully one day I will get to show some of my machinery, it is really something id like to do!

Yours looks real smart Tom, looks a purposeful machine with that Briggs on. I got mine when I was about your age and funny enough, painted it with Crown Flame red as well. Unfortunatly it doesn't seem to set very hard and has got badly scratched in some places, though mine isn't really a show machine. Also, the paint isn't at all petrol resistant, just some advice for when you restore your engine!

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thank you very much, although I have to admit the pictures make it look better than it is! The paint I've used seems to be OK however to be honest I haven't used it that much it's mainly sat in a building. It's funny you should bring this thread up as yesterday I dug out the original engine and got her up and running, well she fires so I think a good carb clean is the next step.

In addiction to this I've extended my barford collection as I bought a barford atom mechanical gardener yesterday, it also comes with a scythe. It's in working order but could do with a little TLC. I'm really hooked on these now and I'm already planning a build for a trailer!

Tom