Sign in to follow this  
Potash123

Qualcast Auto Drive ?

I have acquired a nice clean Qualcast rotary with auto drive, it is fitted with a 148cc B&S engine, the older one, looks a bit like the classic engine, this model has the side shute. The mower was used to trim the lawns around a weekend Mobile home for a few years. Just serviced the engine and it fired up, second pull and sounds nice.

Unfortunately the auto drive would not engage when I pulled the lever. I have now lost daylight and put it away.  Is this the rear gearbox style,  As I said I have lost light for today and don't get long to play with my toys this time of year. Where do I start tomorrow please, many thanks. Colin.

Edited by Potash123

Some engage the drive by just tilting the gearbox to tension the belt while others have a small plate or cone clutch. First check for all is the belt, followed by checking that any drive pawls within the wheels are present and not stuck. Then check the  operating lever on the gearbox is tight and located on its shaft. After the external checks fail to reveal the cause, those transmissions are usually considered "throw away" , but it is sometimes possible to open then up and shim them to restore drive. 

Pulled the gear box out and the white plastic pulley has fell to bits. I rang the number on the sticker, don't  exist anymore. Rang a well known mower shop who are very good. He explained that this range ( SXZ46B-SD ) are Homebase Mowers and subsequently have to get the spares from Homebase, fat chance as I can't find a spares dept on line for them. I have worked on similar gearboxes and I am wondering if any other makes will fit. ? Thanks for reading this. 

Homebase were part of the Home Retail Group ( Argos etc). Then sold to an Oz outfit called Bunnings who were going to work wonders but gave up on them after a year and , I believe, sold them to Sainsbury’s . So whether or not they have a Spares dept is anyone’s guess. If it’s a steel deck machine you may be able to find a rusted out machine ( or two!!) as a pulley or gearbox donor.

Found a pulley for another make on ebay, exactly the same dimensions apart from the hole for the roll pin is 2mm difference, simple bit of drilling and a new roll pin should do the job, just hope my belt is the right profile for the pulley.  Apart from that a well made mower. Thanks lads.