The Fife Plooman

Weekend ploughing

23 hours ago, The Fife Plooman said:

Hi can you put up some pictures of your setup may be able to guide you , keep well

Thank you George. One problem I had was in the hydraulics, the lift would go up and down, but I could not set it to stop or hold. I believe by tightening the nut on the lift lever has helped that situation, I may need to tighten a little more. The plow would bury itself and stop the tractor when I let the plow into the ground and when I lifted the lever a little it would come out of the ground. I'm not sure how to set the center link on a 3 bottom plow either. I'm running a 54hp David Brown Selectamatic 990 live drive six speed

20181124_130913.jpg

20181205_165733.jpg

Hi Alain check for David Brown Tractor club forum they seem to cover the part about hydraulics quite well this would be your best way forward as far as your plough is concerned do you have discs or skimmers for your plough, if you have fit them. on a starting point with your plough is put it down on level ground adjust the top link until the  plough is sitting level. when the plough is level and the ploughshare tip is on the ground  and the heel of the plough is on the ground you should be able to put your fingers  in a hollow between the two if you cannot your ploughshares are worn, I hope this gets you started I will take pictures on Saturday and post them on line it will give you a better idea Keep well

Thank you George. I do not have the 3 coulter/disc wheels that cut the sod and any I have found are 100's of miles away and hundreds of dollars a piece used; which I find unfathomable. I tightened the nuts on the lift handle pivot and that seemed to take care of the hydraulic problem. I also shortened my center link so my tips would not point up, the plow pins are offset to so I don't have to change the draught arms differently and the plow has the ability to tack left or right in case of hitting a hard root or rock. I have stabilisers on both sides and will take some more pictures tomorrow morn. I'm hoping it will be dry enough to put the plow in the dirt later this week. Thanks to all for the advice, I hope to make a decent plow very soon.