S1g

Raleigh Chopper Mk 1

Hope this is ok to post on the forum?

Today when I was picking up a couple of old Atco Mowers that I had purchased on ebay, the seller offered me a pile of bits

that was reputed to be his old Mk 1 Rally Chopper. As I had room in the van I thought "Why not?" Its something different top

restore.

The one area that concerns me is the cost that's going to be involved in getting the bits rechromed, does anyone have any

thoughts as to where I can get this aspect sorted, either a rechromers that charges a sensible price or someone who offers

a service exchange type service?

46844282912_bd079b877f_z.jpgIMG_2999 by gareth gareth, on Flickr

Hi Gareth. Those bikes fetch a lot of money these days. Not like that though I'm sorry to say. As to the chroming, try asking at a jewellers.They maybe able to put you onto someone.

The wheels could be re-built with new rims.

6 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Hi Gareth. Those bikes fetch a lot of money these days. Not like that though I'm sorry to say. As to the chroming, try asking at a jewellers.They maybe able to put you onto someone.

The wheels could be re-built with new rims.

That's a good idea thanks. I gave hardly anything for this so even if I have to spend a few quid it should still be worth doing seeing what they go for fully restored. I bought it because when I was a kid in the '80's my best mate had one exactly the same and we spent hours in his garden with it building courses and jumps then ridding it round dangerously as only kids do.

Hi Gareth,

Nice little project. I suggest you look to use a Plater that is local to you first. Always an advantage taking/collecting the parts in person and dealing face to face with your needs.

Consider  these people-       -Electroplating-   

I have learned and been burned too often now from using remote contact commissions for work. The one I've linked to here appear promising at least.

The project I'm on may also need some Plating, but it won't be chrome, as that had not been invented then.

Good luck with it and look forward to seeing your progress

On 1/27/2019 at 6:30 PM, S1g said:

Hope this is ok to post on the forum?

Today when I was picking up a couple of old Atco Mowers that I had purchased on ebay, the seller offered me a pile of bits

that was reputed to be his old Mk 1 Rally Chopper. As I had room in the van I thought "Why not?" Its something different top

restore.

The one area that concerns me is the cost that's going to be involved in getting the bits rechromed, does anyone have any

thoughts as to where I can get this aspect sorted, either a rechromers that charges a sensible price or someone who offers

a service exchange type service?

46844282912_bd079b877f_z.jpgIMG_2999 by gareth gareth,

How goes the Chopper restoration, Gareth? I'm near you and have a Mk2 Chopper. The Mk1 has a round gear knob and the Mk2 a T-knob shifter. Other minor differences are in the handlebars and rear sissy bar lengths..... There used to be chrome platers in Tewksbury somewhere.

17 hours ago, Armando said:

Hi, thanks for the info. I haven't done much yet to this project as my athrtitus has been giving me grief and last year I bought a house in desperate need of doing up, so my missus has been getting me to work on that instead on my better days.Hopefully with the warmer weather I'll feel better and continue with the project soon.