riber3

My old Compressor got damaged!!

Woe is me sadly whilst moving home the guy helping me knocked over my compressor and the air filter housing broke along with some plastic levers on top of the carb. I know one is the choke but I am struggling to identify the other piece or how it works position wise as my download guide is not very good. Its a 13Hp 188f copy of the GX390 and I have attached a couple of photos so any help would be very welcome so that I can get it fixed. Many thanks in advance. Its the black part with what looks like a screw head in the second photo and the bit below it turns in 90 degrees

P1110618.JPG

P1110606.JPG

Just realised that you have a Honda copy and not the real thing so the link may be of limited use. Pattern carbs are so cheap on the evilbay that a new one may be the simplest way to go.

No worries I had a quick look but not found anything as yet even if its a copy it should have something similar to look at

Found another way of looking but still a pain and that is trying to match info to amazon and ebay photos no luck as yet but will persevere. Just to add salt to the wound my pull start rope just snapped Damm!!!

If you need any help with honda etc GX engines give me a pm, to say I've worked on a few is an understatement. On a gx390 you have a plastic spacer with a gasket either side that the high tension lead slots into. Then there's the carb, then anither spacer plate before the airfilter . As already stated a Chinese carb is so cheap they are not worth repairing. A pity this didn't happen in early December as I sent around 2 Tonne of engines to scrap and you could of had what you wanted.

Thanks S1g for your reply and its a shame that you threw a load of stuff out as I probably would have made some space for it all in case other people needed a few bits. Especially as I Have just finished tidying up my little workshop!!! LOL.

Well I have have good look around for a fair few hours now and no luck but taking on board what you say and looking at it again. I think its part of the throttle linkage.  In as much that the little plastic screw is adjustable I think maybe for tick over.and whatever is missing ie another pic of plastic that joins them up attaches to them togerther. Pretty much what you said above ( I think)

Sorry I got your tag wrong I should have said S1g

Edited by riber3

Thanks for the link I have been checking the writing on the side of the carb I thinks its a G27 something then ends 8453

21 hours ago, riber3 said:

Thanks S1g for your reply and its a shame that you threw a load of stuff out as I probably would have made some space for it all in case other people needed a few bits. Especially as I Have just finished tidying up my little workshop!!! LOL.

Well I have have good look around for a fair few hours now and no luck but taking on board what you say and looking at it again. I think its part of the throttle linkage.  In as much that the little plastic screw is adjustable I think maybe for tick over.and whatever is missing ie another pic of plastic that joins them up attaches to them togerther. Pretty much what you said above ( I think)

Sorry I got your tag wrong I should have said S1g

From your photos I'm struggling to see what is damaged, to pop the carb off you should just undo the 2 M6 nuts on the air filter housing and one M6 bolt under the airfilter itself. Slide the choke and fuel lever away from the engine and disconnect the breather pipe. You will now be able to remove the housing. You will see a spacer plate, take note of which way round this is fitted. Pull the carb forward and rotate the throttle on it and the connecting linkage should pop out. Some have springs that also need disconnecting. The fuel pipe should be easy to lever upwards and I always plug it with the airfilter bolt.  The carbs are available from China, the last one I bought was about £8.50 delivered. The gx340 carb will also fit and work if you can't find a GX 390 one.  Gx240 are also the same physical size but  can starve the bigger engines of fuel as the bore and jets are smaller. The black screw is a throttle stop, under the black square is an idle screw. sorry that I threw everything out but I've offered them to others before for free and no takers. I was giving up a unit so an awful lot of kit had to go.

Just looked on eBay, complete carb and gaskets are 8.58.if you're any where near Hereford I'd be happy to take a look, I used to overhaul about 5 GX Honda's a day, 6 days a week for about 10 years so have seen most problems.

22 hours ago, S1g said:

From your photos I'm struggling to see what is damaged, to pop the carb off you should just undo the 2 M6 nuts on the air filter housing and one M6 bolt under the airfilter itself. Slide the choke and fuel lever away from the engine and disconnect the breather pipe. You will now be able to remove the housing. You will see a spacer plate, take note of which way round this is fitted. Pull the carb forward and rotate the throttle on it and the connecting linkage should pop out. Some have springs that also need disconnecting. The fuel pipe should be easy to lever upwards and I always plug it with the airfilter bolt.  The carbs are available from China, the last one I bought was about £8.50 delivered. The gx340 carb will also fit and work if you can't find a GX 390 one.  Gx240 are also the same physical size but  can starve the bigger engines of fuel as the bore and jets are smaller. The black screw is a throttle stop, under the black square is an idle screw. sorry that I threw everything out but I've offered them to others before for free and no takers. I was giving up a unit so an awful lot of kit had to go.

Just looked on eBay, complete carb and gaskets are 8.58.if you're any where near Hereford I'd be happy to take a look, I used to overhaul about 5 GX Honda's a day, 6 days a week for about 10 years so have seen most problems.

Thanks for the reply and for your help. I was going to do a word doc with a couple of arrows pointing to the plastic lever I'm talking about (I can do this if my following explanation makes no sense!!

I took off the air filter housing yesterday and took a couple of photos of the top of the carb and the plastic lever on the top left I can move manually from the the 6 0 clock position to the 3 o clock position. I am not sure what position it should be in and if something else should be attached to it?

P1110630.JPG

P1110629.JPG

Dear S1g I just read about your arthritis and I sincerely emphasize and I hope things are not too bad with this cold weather. I was diagnosed with early onset arthritis in my wrists and can be a problem at times but I refuse to let it get the better of me until it does!!. I  also hope you got a good price for your stuff in the end. Sometimes I give stuff away for recycling such as cordless tools and other bits and bobs that maybe of help to others.

Hi thanks for your concern, arthritis is just one of those things that I've learnt to live with, there's ways around it most of the time, Ive just bought an auto Jag for use in town traffic but that's another story...

Looking at your photos, it maybe just because I can only use my phone to view them but I can't actually see if anything is broken. On the throttle plastic there should be a lug that when rotates stops again the throttle screw. If it is broken you can pull the butterfly plate out the carb by unscrewing the plate,then the shaft just pulls up. To be honest though if it is broken I would just buy a copy carb. They seem to work well and at 8quid odd it's a cheap fix.

Just looked again, just to avoid confusion, are you talking about the one nearest the engine or nearest the air filter. If it's the latter then it's the choke lever that's missing, unless you've removed it for the photo.

Hi I am talking about the rectangled shaped  one nearest the engine on the left side of the photo nearer to the return spring and has a plastic screw attached to it..  As for the other towards the front bottom middle of the photo I think that is the choke as it operates the front butterfly. Just to add more to my woes the pull starter recoil spring has unwound and its the type with the 2 locking pawls. I don't know if there is a good easy method of re- tensioning it  or if I have to strip it down!!

Either way I think getting another carb might be the easier route to go. Forgot to say yes I did take off the choke lever as that is broken and I am waiting for a replacement to arrive

The one nearest the engine is the throttle and if this is broken I would definitely go down the new carb route for what they cost. With the recoil. Is it that the rope has snapped if so then the easy way is to remove the remains of the rope and make a new length up,then retention the spring by winding the plastic back up and line the hole in it back up with the hole through the starter and push the rope through. If it's not the rope snapping that's caused then it is likely to be the spring broken,and or damaged lug. I have had a lot of trouble with the recoils on copy engines, the best solution is to obtain a genuine Honda recoil off a scrap engine,you may have to space it with one or two M6 washers but the bolt holes should line up. Either a gx340(11hp) or a gx390(13hp should fit). As a stop gap most of these engines have a notch in the centre cup to allow you to wrap a rope around and start them like an old Villiers etc. Just don't do it on site if the health and safety guy is about.

Good News!! I got brave yesterday and had a bit of free time so I took the recoil starter apart and manged to re-tension and got it working S1g is absolutely right (never doubted it) as th metal lip that holds the spring is not of a great quality so will look for a spare Honda one but all the same got it back together fitted new pull rope and back in business.

Also fitted new spark plug and hey presto fired up and ran quite well and compressor came up to pressure, Just needs a little fettling to get it running a bit smoother and I should be good to go. I will order a nw as well just it case I have any further issues but my thanks to everyone for their replies and help. Especially S1g I am currently reading through your other post at present and its very good!!!

Here are some pics of the starter if anyone needs them

P1110664.JPG

P1110668.JPG

P1110669.JPG