Stormin

Kohler 301AS sump pan.

I'm in need of a sump pan for a Kohler 301as 12hp.  This is the deep one as fitted to Wheel Horse C-125. Have a look in my C-125 rebuild thread. Step-by-Step Restoration.

3 hours ago, Stormin said:

Thanks Harry. I'll make enquiries and let you know. :thumbs:

Can you PM me the dimensions please? No rush.

The best way to tell is to download the Kohler TP manual on each engine model (or your engine) and compare part numbers, There are two sump pans for the K301 and K341 that interchange, but there are many more that don't. It depends on what tractor as much as what hp. The TP manuals show all the various parts used on each engine i.e. all the starters and generators used on the all the different k301 variants, all the oil pans, carburetors, dipsticks, alternators, air breathers, etc. There is also a numerical system incorporated in the TP manuals that allows you to know what part was used on your variant by the use of the spec number that is on the engine. This is all basic reference 101 and saves much times and money in finding parts that actually fit. Attached is the TP manual for the Kohler K301. This manual covers dozens of K301 variant engines and if the "spec number" sticker is missing from your engine there is a website that you can find it. If anyone one wants TP manuals for other Kohler engines let me know

Kohlerl_K301_12HP_IPL_TP2097.pdf

1 hour ago, Stormin said:

I would say yes, Chris. :thumbs:

The Kohler TP manual shows 47-199-08 for the Wheel Horse C-125 oil sump, but the 14 and 16 horse use the 47-200-02 number, but that is the right/same sump. The k321-k341 came out later and many of numbers changed even though the parts were the same

On 2/16/2019 at 2:31 PM, Stormin said:

There's a thread on Red Square in Engines on sump pans. Tells the differences between big and small block sumps.

I like that the TP manuals allow you to use your spec number to find the correct part for your particular engine variant

4 hours ago, Stormin said:

I agree, Alain, and I've filed that TP manual. Not having the sump pan off, as the engine is still in the tractor, I'd no idea of the number.

I looked up the spec numbers on the Wheel Horse C-125, there were two. One was 47723D and the other was 44742D (the first two numbers designate the engine size 47, 12 hp 60, 14 hp) both listed the number 9 pan on the manual as the correct pan. The k321 and k341 came out several years after the k301 and therefore have slightly different numbers for the same part, but as long as you use the TP manual to reference your spec number you can find the right part, even if it has more than one part number.