CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: Military Engine Display

Finally had a chance to mount one of my military engines to a tank from an old Dyna-Mite generator. Added a nice piece of quarter sawn oak for stability. Now I can fire it up without the engine running off.  I don’t think I’ll keep it set up this way long term but it does make for a convenient way to test engines after rebuilding.

397B8531-D34B-4C1A-8FB9-92346EE37984.jpeg

49D8B790-A35F-424C-96CD-03EEF5808B6F.jpeg

6D3F7FC4-3B65-492E-A5AF-156D48A60C85.jpeg

On 2/12/2019 at 12:29 AM, CNew said:

I don’t think I’ll keep it set up this way long term but it does make for a convenient way to test engines after rebuilding.

It does look nice for displaying an engine, but is only usable for testing engines without a gearbox though, I thought you were planning to build an adjustable test stand similar to the one mentioned at the end of this thread (post #23);

Also I noticed someone on ePay bought one of those NOS type 133 (ex-Mil) engines just for the cylinder & resold it without it, are they really that hard to find a replacement for these days?

David

Edited by factory

Hi David,

Yes, I’m still planning to finish building the adjustable stand for engines with gear boxes based on the design concept from your link. This wood base was just a quick and easy one. It’s still super cold here in Minnesota so getting out in the garage to use my drill press just isn’t an option. I’d like to use my drill press to fab some of the parts for the adjustable engine stand.  That project may just have to wait until Spring:)

I also saw that NOS 133 engine without the cylinder. I thought that was really strange, buying a brand new engine just for that one part and then reselling the rest.  Wish I could have bought the rest of the engine just for spare parts but it was just too expensive for me and did not have the air cleaner, tank and other bits.

Clint

We have 'usedtoolman' to thank for the design of the test stand, I had forgotten how cold it is over where you are, definitely a spring project then.

I hadn't spotted the tank was missing, it did have a air cleaner though and the removed exhaust collector bits, note that the type 133 was never supplied with a muffler.

I have a boxed one and another slightly incomplete one in my collection, neither are in NOS condition.

SAM_9710a.jpg

SAM_0099a.jpg

David

Despite what the sellers may think, they aren't rare enough for that price, the military must have ordered hundreds of them and used very few of them, consequently many have ended up as surplus and eventually on ePay. I've got pictures of nearly 50 of them archived so far.

David

David,

Do you know what application the military used the Type 133? Was it some sort of small generator or something. I’ve seen a few of these pop up and I have a couple but I’ve never seen one attached to any sort of actual tool.

Clint

No one has yet found out what the type 133 was actually fitted to, the problem is that the information is probably classified, assuming it hasn't been destroyed of course.

The military did have some Champ generators, but the these use a different adaptor plate/housing to the engine here, the one I have is fitted with a type 122 engine and the serial number has been ground off, so maybe it got liberated by someone serving with the military.

David

Saw an interesting photo on Pinterest of one of these engines mounted to an aluminum weldment and it had a bent tubular projection off the side for the tank mount.  Not sure if it was a complete item as intended or only a partial unit.

Edited by CNew

Do you have a link for it or the picture? Can't really comment much without seeing it.

Or was it this one (picture from ePay, sold in 2016) ?

k1a.jpg.e0c782febf596d5269610122ea0664d9.jpg

David

It was a different photo. I can’t seem to access the website again for some reason.  I’ll keep trying and hopefully be able to send a link.

Thanks for finding it again, it does look like someone has made the stand for it, also the two round labels are still with it (that would have been around the spark-plug when new). And finally the filename gives it away too "Ohlsson & Rice engine...NOS military surplus".

Here is the picture in question in case it disappears;

2064607890_OhlssonRiceengine...NOSmilitarysurplus.jpg.d138239a01b6787bf5239ad131f2b121.jpg

David