CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: Ignition Coil Manufacturer and Part# ?

I’m curious if anyone has had any luck figuring out what brand and specific part number of ignition coil is used on the O&R engines. It looks very much like it could be made by Phelon.  The condensers on most of my engines are made by Phelon and are usually part# FG8095.  Seems like if there is a Phelon number (or similar manufacturer from the 60s) that works then it might be easier to source than trying to find NOS Ohlsson ignition parts. The metal legs of the coil look to be pretty unique to O&R from what I can tell but it would be nice if the center body of the coil could be replaced.

Probably are Phelon. The metal laminate part is unique to these engines but it's always possible a chainsaw engine out there could have one that would interchange with minor modification like drilling new holes.

The only bad coils seem to be the damaged ones. Think I've had one suspect coil out of 50+ engines so they are probably the most durable part on them. Once you end up with a couple of toasted engines, you'll have some spares. My advice is to buy the crappy Mustang chainsaws for cheap money to gain spare engine parts like coils, carbs, recoils, ect. ect.

Great advice. I don’t have an engine yet in need of a coil but thought maybe I would keep a look out if there was a known part number. I’m with you, picking up a spare engine here and there is probably the best plan to get some of these parts. Had some fun today working on a recoil starter, seems to be working smoothly now...

16 hours ago, Wallfish said:

The only bad coils seem to be the damaged ones. Think I've had one suspect coil out of 50+ engines so they are probably the most durable part on them. Once you end up with a couple of toasted engines, you'll have some spares. My advice is to buy the crappy Mustang chainsaws for cheap money to gain spare engine parts like coils, carbs, recoils, ect. ect.

Same here, I have found very few bad coils (I'm sure we discussed this on another thread at the end on last year), if you can find cheap knackered engines or tools they will be of more use to you than just buying a new coil, as you will end up with other parts that you will eventually need, knackered hedge trimmers seem to be common in the UK and damaged chainsaws in the US (as Wallfish said).

I did look at other engine brands for replacement coils at one point, but decided they were just too expensive to buy in the hope that one may fit, bearing in mind that the shipping costs & import fees from the US cost basically doubles or even triples the price of an individual part for us in the UK too.

I will have another look through my 1960's engine parts guides to see what could fit, they may indeed have been made by Phelon or even several different suppliers, as the design changed a couple of times over the years.

Also note, the Series 20A engine uses Wico ignition parts to confuse matters (part number X18086 for the coil), I think Webhead may have spares for those.

David

Thanks David, it was just a curiosity of the moment while I was hunting for some other items. I’ve always got my eye open for old engines and tools to try to build up a bit of a spare parts inventory. 

Good to know now about then 20A engine parts. I still don’t have anything with this engine style yet, I’m still kind of partial to the earlier Compact engines...

Clint

If you ever need a replacement spark-plug boot, I did find that some made for Tecumseh engines were the same as those used on the O&R engines (apart from the early ones), just check with the supplier that it matches the picture, as you may get a useless modern one instead (been there done that), I did actually salvage & re-use one from a knackered coil too (note; they are a little tricky to fit due to the rubber hardening with age).

828365305_o.jpg.6730ebef8894288e64cf22cacc3e33cb.jpg

David

David, 

Good to know, I will tuck that away for future reference, more than likely I’ll need to replace one of these boots at some point.

Clint

Here is an example of a NOS Tecumseh coil, googling that you may find something similar to the O&R ones, but it would be best to contact anyone selling one you've found to make sure the sizes are the same and ignore any sellers that can't be bothered to respond.

coil.jpg.14411ca517ed344f046dd54428b5f50b.jpg

Certainly the primary side wiring looks a bit short on the coil pictured above.

On 2/17/2019 at 2:56 PM, CNew said:

Good to know, I will tuck that away for future reference, more than likely I’ll need to replace one of these boots at some point.

Clint

You mentioned you work in 3D printing in another thread, are there any fuel resistant rubber materials that can be used with 3D printing? If there is something suitable, some copies of these older spark-plug insulators would probably be of interest to quite a few of us.

Note: these were an option on early engines instead of the spark-plug short out spring.

SAM_1553a.jpg.2fc8906bc583d69f5e4f4ec653e581fa.jpgSAM_7728a.jpg.1effa7aa591eb6e69b1bc04af9816fd8.jpg

David

Jim, usedtoolman had made some of those spark plug covers using Plasti Dip. It's for rubber coating tool handles and available in black. He may have done a thread on the old forum about it and they came out very nice

Our company just released a new TPU elastomer material for our 3D printers. I’ll have to look at the chemical resistance specs. This would be a great application!

The Plasti Dip idea is a good one too!

I can't remember it from the old forum, but Plasti Dip sounds interesting and unusually it actually seems to be available in the UK (but they do need to update their website, as one of their clients "British Rail" ceased to exist over 20 years ago!).

Looks to be available in many colours too;

https://www.plastidip.co.uk/colour-swatches/

Must be good stuff as it contains lots of hazardous chemicals, better buy some before they ban it!

https://www.plastidip.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Plasti-Dip-Black-SDS-GETF954154C3-UV-1.pdf

I'm guessing Jim used a mould to make the spark-plug insulators from Plasti Dip?

David