Wallfish

Orline Cutoff saw

I sent you a separate note about the starting process and some of the things that these engines usually require to get them running again, hope it helps.

Wow, an O&R on a multiuse demo saw. That is a new one for me. I wonder how well that worked out. I bet tile contractors loved them. It looks like it powers a ~ 7 or 8 inch grinder wheel. I have a much larger demo saw built by Racine for cutting railroad rail. The 10.5hp West Bend 820 engine turns whatever metal you put in front of the 16 inch abrasive wheel into powder. I would actually love to find one of these mini demo-saws. Its just too cute!

Chris

Hi Chris,

i don’t know much about the saw and it use. I bought it at an estate sale thinking it was a concrete saw, but it is too clean for it to have been that. Another user on this site mentioned it being a cutoff saw which make sense. It came in a sawzall tool box with 10-15 new blades in wrappers, along with some other items. It appears to be complete and I. Good shape although I have not been able to start it. The prior owner was president of the local teamsters union for 20 years. There was no junk at this sale and this saw caught my eye.

why do you say it was a multiuse demo saw? I am always curious about the items I come across. 

I am faced with the daunting task of moving after living here for 37 years. I have no idea how to even approach it, except to downsize like crazy- so the saw is available. As I mentioned it has 12-15 blades and a tool box that fits it nicely.

im open to offers-

lisa

415 530-7814

Been awhile since I posted on the cutoff saw. After the hand surgery it’s been a little slow but I did make a little progress the other day and started getting the engine back together.

I also took a little break from O&Rs to work on a vintage Aquascooter. I’ve got it completely torn down now for a full rebuild. It’s an interesting engine...

2B49CD2C-D5E4-48B2-A181-092B960F508D.jpeg

37FA1194-E294-40D7-8270-72ABA6D8092D.jpeg

On 10/13/2020 at 2:47 AM, CNew said:

I’ll add some more photos later but I’m now one with O&R... while working on the cutoff saw I was trying to remove a set screw/bolt with quite a bit of force. The slotted head snapped and the screwdriver skewered my hand between my thumb and pointer finger. I ended up at the ER yesterday and when they did x-rays they saw a piece of shrapnel. Apparently half of the screw head that snapped off went with the screwdriver blade and got lodged deep in my hand. I go in for surgery tomorrow morning for them to try to fish it out. You can see in this first photo the half of the screw that chipped off.

C7B9FD0F-B290-457E-847B-7410CFF5EAEA.jpeg

Piece of the screw removed from my hand this morning...

Good grief, I hadn't realised you had surgery following a mishap with this saw, hope it's fully healed & your back to restoring O&R's.

Is that broken screw a slotted grub screw? I absolutely hate those things as they always want to spread & break rather then come out, much prefer a nice Allen version.

David

Thanks David!  Yes, the hand is pretty much healed now. Lots of scar tissue but it’s starting to look and feel normal again. 

I agree- I don’t like that style of screw. An Allen would have been much better.

I hope to get some time soon to finish up the saw and start another O&R project.

On 11/19/2020 at 8:23 PM, CNew said:

Been awhile since I posted on the cutoff saw. After the hand surgery it’s been a little slow but I did make a little progress the other day and started getting the engine back together.

I also took a little break from O&Rs to work on a vintage Aquascooter. I’ve got it completely torn down now for a full rebuild. It’s an interesting engine...

2B49CD2C-D5E4-48B2-A181-092B960F508D.jpeg

37FA1194-E294-40D7-8270-72ABA6D8092D.jpeg

Did you ever finish your rebuild of your Aquascooter? That one looks like a 400 with a Tillotson HS.

I've rebuilt completely rebuilt three of them. Stripped and powder coated the frames even. Odd little things but isn't that why we are on here? Ha!

Robert

3 minutes ago, rbcfab said:

Did you ever finish your rebuild of your Aquascooter? That one looks like a 400 with a Tillotson HS.

I've rebuilt completely rebuilt three of them. Stripped and powder coated the frames even. Odd little things but isn't that why we are on here? Ha!

Robert

Almost, I have everything ready to assemble and then came across another one. The second one was in better shape and I got it running. I’m missing a couple parts on the first one and it also had a damaged handle and is missing the snorkel.  I ended up having to make my own snorkel for the other one.  Yep, both are the AS400 models with the Tillotson HS carb.  I’d like to have one of the later 650 models but $1399 is a bit steep. These are really cool scooters, with summer coming on I’m anxious to give it a try.