Wallfish

Orline Cutoff saw

Bought this as a bunch of pieces but it has all the important stuff like the gearbox with the pulley, the little V-belt, correct gas tank, ect. ect. Really just missing the engine, hardware and couple of small pieces. The locked up gearbox is soaking now but it seems like it's just the grease is hard as a rock. It should free up.

It came in dirty but was easy to clean since it was already apart. Paint isn't too bad on this one. I have a couple of spare yellow Mustang chainsaws to use for donor parts, engine and the hardware. Missed out on a couple of these over the years and they don't seem to come up for sale as often so was happy to finally get one for the collection.

IMG_0199.JPG.050f7ea4534a7c9efd8e1ebb5cf2ec69.JPG

That’s a pretty cool cut-off saw. I’ve only seen one of those come up for sale. It was maybe a couple months ago and I almost jumped on it.  Nice find!

17 hours ago, Wallfish said:

Missed out on a couple of these over the years and they don't seem to come up for sale as often so was happy to finally get one for the collection.

Good to hear you have finally found one for your collection, strange that someone borrowed the engine, as the rest of the parts look in good condition, good luck with the restoration.

15 hours ago, CNew said:

I’ve only seen one of those come up for sale. It was maybe a couple months ago and I almost jumped on it.  Nice find! 

Probably was the one you mentioned by PM in January, they don't appear very often.

David

It was on Epay as a "buy it now" for $85. Came from a seller in Waltham MA and that guy has been listing O&R stuff on there for a while. Need to get him to join the forum as it appears he has or had a bunch of stuff.

Too funny, yes that was the one. Just as I was getting ready to bid it ended- glad you were the one that ended up with it!  I’ve bought a few parts and I think the Landscaper 600 engine from him as well.

Ha ha, yea to make things worse I actually knew about it before he listed it as I was communicating with him on some other stuff so I had a heads-up and I still missed it. I was also still pretty green about all the O&R stuff at that point too and didn’t know what things were rare...  glad it went to a proper home!

9 hours ago, Wallfish said:

Came from a seller in Waltham MA and that guy has been listing O&R stuff on there for a while. Need to get him to join the forum as it appears he has or had a bunch of stuff.

Unfortunately I now realise which seller it came from too, I'm not sure they actually collect O&R's at all, but they have been very busy buying up most cheap O&R's over the last two years and then either immediately relisting them at a much higher (one item I noticed was even listed with the previous owners pictures before they could have received it), or parting them out to sell the engine, tanks & other bits separately (i.e many Chicken Power kits, chainsaws & even a rare Polaris snow blower :(), often the engines are then repainted & incorrect decals attached for the type/age of engine.

I think this may also be one of the reasons why asking prices have been all over the place & often quite silly, also completed listings on ePay don't give the lower sold price when something sells at a lower 'best offer' price either (which artificially raises asking prices).

Looking at the listing it states "all parts are there to build the chop saw, only took out the old engine" so I'm guessing it was a complete saw before they bought it, if they had more knowledge they would have realised it's higher potential value as a complete item.

But then again it helped you find one at a very good price, as we both know an engine to complete it isn't too expensive. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing the chop saw back to how it should be.

David

4 hours ago, factory said:

I suspect Wallfish may already have this information, but here are some scans I've done of parts diagrams for the chop saw & the type 218 engine (I do have it in higher resolution, but wanted to keep the file size lower for the forum).

Ohlsson & Rice Circular Saw Jan 71 & type 218 engine Sep 68.pdf

David

I'm not sure if that one is in my book or not. Don't recall seeing it but it's certainly been a while too

Hope it's useful to you either way, it's sure to help anyone else who may need it too.

The service folders are all a little bit different, depending on whether the repair shops bothered to get the updates or not, plus bits seem to disappear from them. I scanned all the pages of the first one I bought when I was off work for a long term (due to my health). Since then I have  acquired a second later one, but there is the odd item missing that contents page lists, I'm slowly scanning that one too (apart from duplicate pages).

Scanning them is the easy bit, editing & creating smaller sized pdf files from the PNG images takes a long time.

Finding a service book that covers the earlier stuff in more detail & that goes all the way to the end of AEP in 1978 would be fantastic.

David

David,

Do you by chance have any of this kind of information or technical bulletins for the following tools: Tote’n Comet Circular Saw, Drillgine or Orline Hedge Trimmer?

Clint

I don't have anything for Comet tools or the Drillgine, but I was going to surprise you with some stuff for the Orline hedge trimmer, oh well you know now. It's already scanned, just needs a bit of editing.

If you could let me know which engine type is fitted I can add the correct parts diagram for you too. :poke:

David

David, 

That’s awesome - I really appreciate you going to all that effort! It’s always so helpful to have some of the exploded views to know what you’re getting into along the way. The engine type on my Orline trimmer is a Type 224.

Much appreciated- thanks!

Clint

Well, it only takes about 9 or 10 months to do something which used to get done in a day or two. Finally got around to and made some time to assemble this cutoff saw. It's not 100% done as I need to make a grommet for the carb intake to match up with the hole for the air cleaner and I'll install a new carb while I'm at it. Still need to order a new blade too and do some clean up on it.

Used to be able to go through these quickly but didn't look for the specialty tools I made for easier access to the tough to reach bolts an such. Luckily the recoil went fast and got that the first try.

IMG_0384.JPG.74c51ca6255b4ed3d2e60bd7b264ca8b.JPG

IMG_0385.JPG.3c761fa17d72506722dda7402c0a00c1.JPG

On 11/11/2019 at 6:33 PM, Wallfish said:

Still need to order a new blade too and do some clean up on it.

IMG_0384.JPG.74c51ca6255b4ed3d2e60bd7b264ca8b.JPG

Wallfish,

Were you successful finding a new blade or a NOS blade that fits well for this saw?

As a matter of fact I did :woohoo:  

I haven’t received it yet, could be another week or two before it arrives. Will definitely post some pics as soon as it shows up.

We definitely need some pic's when you get it . just found this on ebay don't know if and one is interested .

seems a little high to me!

www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-NOS-Ohlsson-Rice-OR-Engine-Chicken-Power-Bicycle-Parts-Lot-Coil-Petcock-Etc/202867797676?hash=item2f3bdceeac:g:UJoAAOSwydNeDgdZ