Steve2018

Lawnflite 504 cutter blade conversion

Is it possible to replace the disc with 8 blades on to just a single blade? 

I think my blades are blunt as they seem to just flatten the grass but there's 8 at £15 each! 

Thanks 

I would follow Nigel’s advice and sharpen the blades. The later 30” deck on the 604 had a bar blade but also a fan to create enough air flow to fill the bag. On your machine it is the wings on the 8  blades that create the air flow . Unless you are just going to cut and drop, I would keep them.

3 hours ago, nigel said:

Why not just sharpen the 8 blades

Is there a special way to sharpen them? Eg a certain angle or as long as they sort of follow the original  angle would that be ok? 

I remember sharpening a garden shredder blade that was blunt but still working sort of ok,  i made it nice and sharp and it would shred anything... 

Thanks 

Thanks had a look but all the bolts look untouched from the 80's and not wanting to budge. I got the main centre bolt out but the disc is stuck solid

Might be easier removing the deck to attack them easier do you think? from the looks of it the deck is held on by just some R clips is this correct or am I missing something? 

Thanks 

I had a 504 and if I remember right, the deck is just held on by R clips. If you get it off, turn it upside down and soak the bolts in releasing fluid. Or apply some gentle heat.