CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: Engine Model? (from Merc-O-tronic min-i-pump)

Here’s one for you David, is this a typical marking on some of the O&R engines?  I hadn’t seen this one before and was wondering if it was common or maybe an odd ball. I’m guessing it’s intended to say MODEL but the “M” didn’t really get stamped well.

C7A3A939-A342-437F-BF32-46C9D2B584A9.jpeg

4FFE70C7-E435-4D99-B078-59C9E01E0C0B.jpeg

Yes that's a fairly common marking for engines produced before November 1967, Model A is a standard engine with a round tank and the Roman numerals III are for Compact III (3) a 1HP engine, which were made from the end of 1965 onwards.

What is it off? or did you find it like that?

David

Thanks David, good to know. It’s a “scrap” engine that was mounted to a vintage stand that looked like it might have been a display model of some kind. That’s why when I saw “Model” on the side I thought it might have been unique to a display or salesman sample or something.The stand looks factory made for it but I got the engine to get some spare parts.

45 minutes ago, CNew said:

It’s a “scrap” engine that was mounted to a vintage stand

I'm guessing it was this one, the engine looks in good condition to me, just needs some screws for the starter & a tank strap, air filter has gone as usual!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2047675.l2557

Actually I recognise the stand, it was originally a MERC-O-TRONIC MIN-I-PUMP, I would be asking the seller if they have the pump for it.

Pictures below from ePay & another auction site, the second one had that piece of paper about the 'X' needle valve & was SN #122575, five numbers away from your engine.

1660718511_MERC-O-TRONICMIN-I-PUMP1a.jpg.d51bc5ec20e855709f690d1f90e5d71c.jpg1130970821_MERC-O-TRONICMIN-I-PUMP2a.jpg.e32f353bb16f8d90bedd9193f50a64c9.jpg

David

Unfortunately the engine I have is completely seized up. After opening it up it looks like the piston and crank may be royally jammed up. It’s completely rusted inside the piston bore. I’ve got some penetrating oil in it to hopefully free it up but it doesn’t look good at all on the inside. As always seems to be the case mine is also missing the air cleaner assembly.  I will also need a flywheel shaft key and tank strap as those are both missing. Screws for the recoil cover are easy.

That is indeed the same style base that came with mine. Glad to know what it was originally used for, never heard of the Merck-O-Tronic. My base has seen better days and it is bent quite a bit so it’s not at all flat and stable. I’m hoping I can straighten it out somehow, at least enough to make it functional.

Man, David is good!

Bet if you poked around some you could find a replacement pump, make a handle going by the pics David provided and get another display tool out of it when you have a spare running engine.

$0.02

drill-driven-pump-electric-drill-water-pump-metal-drill-pump-drill-powered-water-pump-electric-drill-powered-pump-drill-driven-transfer-pump.jpg.aabea19d9f9bd75c985210c0c72c10b9.jpg

More patience needed, I've had plenty of stuck pistons, I usually pour plenty of oil in through the spark-plug hole to cover the cylinder, leave it a week and using the flywheel gently try rotating each way, hopefully in will start to move (of course you will need a key for the flywheel, which can be cut from aluminium sheet of the correct thickness & filed to shape).

I've only had one engine where this did not work, I did manage to remove the piston without further damage as it had a 14mm spark-plug hole, it was possible to press the piston out (note the previous owner had snapped the con-rod), I believe that engine had been run with no oil in the fuel, I never did get the rings off the piston though.

Never try pressing the piston out of an engine with a 10mm plug unless you want a hole in it.

David

David- your sleuthing abilities are astounding.  Yep, that’s the plan. I put some oil in through the spark plug hole and I’m letting it soak this week. It’ll be a little bit before I have time to work on this one anyway, I’ve got a couple projects ahead of it.  I may have a key from another engine I can use and as you suggest it doesn’t look like it would be too terribly challenging to fab a key.

John, great idea with the pump - I think that’s exactly what I’ll end up doing with this one. If I can tweak the base and tidy it up a bit this could be a nice item (even better when I get this engine working).

Good to know, thank you for the tip!

20 hours ago, CNew said:

David- your sleuthing abilities are astounding.

I collect pictures of anything unusual, the pump is the same as others used with O&R's but with the custom cover plate for MERC-O-TRONIC. It's a shame you can't just buy the pump from Proven, which I believe was the OEM.

Note, the bases on the other two of these pumps I have saved pictures of look to be bent too.

A tank strap should be easy to make from some steel strip, or use a temporary permanent fix, a large cable tie. :D

David

I’ve got a trip planned to the local metal supply. I’ll look for some small strips to maybe fab some straps. Cables ties are a good temporary:)

On 3/3/2019 at 12:45 AM, CNew said:

David- your sleuthing abilities are astounding.

If this engine is seized, how on earth did the seller verify it has compression :scratchhead:.

2009088600_Screenshot_2019-03-04ohlssonandricecompactIII1hpgasengineeBay.png.1ec65a1f8547b7d977e76a39c0f16c3f.png

David

Yes, I was equally disappointed as you might imagine. My guess is since it was hard to pull the starter rope he must have assumed that meant good compression. Or, it jammed when he pulled it to test it since it didn’t have any oil to lube the piston...

Come to to think of it, the engine was missing the flywheel key as well so the flywheel wouldnt have been able to engage with the shaft to allow him to feel any compression.

Edited by CNew

Found this old advert under completed listings on ePay, thought I would add it here (I've updated the title too).

Merc-O-tronic min-i-pump model 600 advert cut-out from Organic Gardening and Farming magazine, month/week of issue is unknown but the page shows the price offer expired end of December 1966.

617096737_OrganicGardeningandFarming1966pg20Merc-O-tronicmin-i-pumpModel600a.jpg.9e0695dbb42ffe9da351f7c8721a5a38.jpg

2138220744_OrganicGardeningandFarming1966pg20Merc-O-tronicmin-i-pumpModel600c.jpg.7dcef797d4a44864b80152a02ce995a8.jpg

David

Very cool.  I have one kind of like that. I’ll have to look to see if the Merc-O-Tronic name is anywhere on it.  Unfortunately the engine is seized up and I hi I it’s missing the little pump.  I’ve had the piston/cylinder with some Kroil for over a year now and no signs of budging.

It'll be branded Merc-O-tronic on the bit your missing, no idea why I didn't post this before (no it not mine either).

large-135004.0_3.jpg.16868e1a43ba2c43c2c8d77384e109cc.jpg

Could you find another Orline and transfer the pump over? don't know if they are any easier for you to find in the US.

David