CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: Spring for Governor Adjuster Locking Mechanism

I’ve got an engine that needs a new spring for the Governor adjuster lever, specifically the little spring loaded post that locks the lever into position. The last spring was mangled and mostly missing so I don’t really have any dimensions to work with in order to find a replacement and I don’t want to try to pull one off a perfectly good engine. Does anyone know roughly what dimensions might be suitable?  I was able to find a hardware supply source that has some small springs (these are not OEM for O&R) and I’m wondering if they might work well enough. The overall uncompressed length is 0.25”, the ID is 0.080”, the OD is 0.12“ and the zinc coated music steel wire itself has a diameter of 0.020”. The spring is rated at 46 lb/in with a max of 4.14 lb.

Also, is the little copper colored spring retainer/keeper on the Governor shaft spring just copper or some other alloy. Mine is missing half of the spring.

Clint

1A449097-22AF-4DEB-B905-A8E408E39061.jpeg

I would need to check both later in the week, has the carb been vandalised by someone wanting the add a RC servo? That seems to be what happens to few of them, along with losing the governor vane.

The lock mechanism & spring wasn't sold separately, the 'governor spring retainer' is what O&R described the copper colour wire as (part no. #27-5, picture from the web), I can check the wire with a magnet but I suspect it's copper.

27-5.jpg.98ad0880532a212c074227bf7ec28aee.jpg

It's a good idea to keep damaged carbs for parts like these, as both John & me have.

David

Excellent, his is very helpful. I’ll try to get some better measurements as well on the locking spring.  It’s good to know that the keeper is likely just a little piece of copper wire.

This particular engine is one of the Type 133 military engines so I’m guessing it wasn’t repurposed for RC. It may had just gotten damaged over the years. When I got it the little post for the locker was busted in half so maybe a previously owner just decided to remove the whole Governor vane and mechanism.  I do have another engine that was modified for RC and has the little throttle cable adjuster attached (see photo).

A26076B0-8532-4FEE-8264-968A62C4F381.jpeg

Well there may actually be a part number for the lock spring, as it looks to be the same as the carb needle spring (part #21-20) used on early engines (carb with side needle valve), it's the same number of turns & diameter. I need to be careful not to break the needle to confirm the spring length (at the weekend) or find one that's already loose.

Then you should be able to find a suitable replacement, if John hasn't got one.

SAM_3249a.jpg.4b3a3390a0da664944e55940c706ebcd.jpgSAM_3251a.jpg.38f5f94a53539654c7af430ee5b98850.jpg

David

David,

That’s great, nice connection between the different springs. Definitely don’t ruin one of your good springs trying to determine this... I think this should be enough detail to find a suitable replacement.

Thank you for all the help!

Clint

4 hours ago, CNew said:

. I think this should be enough detail to find a suitable replacement.

The old school type hardware stores are your friend when it comes to stuff like this. Rummage through all those old little drawers. Also look for the little carb ball bearings while your at it. So much easier to just replace those when you have a bag full that cost about $2.

I haven't had the chance to look around yet and probably this weekend if need be.

Good reminder on the little bearings. I’m going to check out my local hardware store this weekend as well to see if they might have a suitable spring.  I miss the old hardware stores I remember as a kid, those places are disappearing, along with good machine shops...