S1g

Another Mountfield 25

Just managed to pick up a nice mountfield 25 on eBay, a 1972 machine, after welding up a deck on one the other day. It's in good nick at the moment, but is yellow instead of the normal red, does anyone know why this might be? It almost looks to good a job to be a repaint but who knows.

Can't get the computer to talk to the camera, -Norm. Not having the best of weeks, with anything,Bethany my little helper ( Hinderer) with my projects passed away on Wednesday, feeling a little bit lost without her. She was nearly 13 though which is a good run for a Labrador. I'm sure I'll get the photos up soon.

1 hour ago, Stormin said:

Sorry about Bethany. I know how you feel. Lost my last collie just before Christmas.

You almost don't realise how attached you get to them till they've gone. I'm also sorry to hear about your Collie.

13 hours ago, S1g said:

Just managed to pick up a nice mountfield 25 on eBay, a 1972 machine, after welding up a deck on one the other day. It's in good nick at the moment, but is yellow instead of the normal red, does anyone know why this might be? It almost looks to good a job to be a repaint but who knows.

There were some in a sort of goldy yellow metallic. As those Mountfield were actually Murrays it’s possible that In a given year Mountfield under ordered  / oversold and had to top up their stocks with what ever the US factory had available.  I remember someone from MTD saying that their factories stopped making mowers in June and switched production to snow clearing and cultivation equipment ready for the autumn before switching back to mowers for the following year before Christmas.

Thanks for the input, got to admit as I'm struggling to get a good match  to the metallic yellow gold you mention, and I'm more used to seeing them in red I'm leaning more towards repainting it red.

Spent many happy years cutting the grass on a 25. Think we got it when I was about 8 and it ran faultlessly for another 8 until we upgraded.

I think my brother bought one out of pure nostalgia a few years back :)

7 minutes ago, meadowfield said:

Spent many happy years cutting the grass on a 25. Think we got it when I was about 8 and it ran faultlessly for another 8 until we upgraded.

I think my brother bought one out of pure nostalgia a few years back :)

Nostalgia is one of the main reasons I've bought this, was the ride on that I ever drove. My friend's dad had one and when we were about 7 or 8 we watched Herbie. After seeing the wheelies in the film we thought it would be fun to try and recreate it on the mower. We "borrowed" the keys and with a bit of a slope and top gear we did manage to get the front wheels to come up for a few seconds.