CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: Start/Stop Switch Wiring for Sears Utility Lightweight

I’m finally getting to work on an O&R Sears Utility Lightweight chainsaw that I got quite awhile back and it looks like at some point someone hacked the wiring for the Start/Stop switch and I could use some guidance on the proper way to put this back together. This chainsaw looks to be basically the same as a Mustang 149 if that helps in narrowing the options.  My primary question is how the connection should be made from the short yellow wire that exits the top section of the handle down to the engine.  When I got the saw the switch did not work and a previous owner had spliced/soldered the little yellow wire from the switch directly into the wire from the condenser. Is that correct?  Could I just simply extend the little yellow wire by soldering another short piece of wire that has a terminal connector and attach it to the points stud or is there a specific way this particular type of Start/Stop switch needs to be wired and spliced into the condenser? I believe the wiring inside the handle and to the actual switch is correct, it doesn’t appear anyone has tampered with it (at least that’s what I’m hoping for but I added a photo just in case).

DBA28371-408E-4088-BDD5-AE4BA8692480.jpeg

The switch just grounds the points to stop the engine. So wherever that wire connects doesn't necessarily make any difference. It should connect to the engine the same way as the Mustang saw does. Can't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure there's just a short pigtail wire from the nut on the points post up to the handle, and the two wires connect together with small solderless crimp on connectors.

Both my Orline Mustang & Sears version have two yellow wires joined under a black sleeve, I can't get to either of them at the moment but here are pictures showing this.

SAM_10007a.jpg.ed2c90ff02221cbb5c84ed2637687c55.jpgSAM_1529a.jpg.b362cc00e0168e62aaba3a5f4a4b1f5d.jpg

David

Maybe these diagrams from the chainsaw service manual will help, there is no mention of where the wire joins to the points (but it will be the same place as the standard brass strip stop switch would go to).

1965477475_OhlssonRiceChainSawServiceProcedurePage40J3e.jpg.4ba6314e6ff86996bffd78abc85efc7c.jpg1895264421_OhlssonRiceChainSawServiceProcedurePage43J6e.jpg.8173b8bb68c5813deea1d0aed13db456.jpg

David

David, John,

You guys are awesome- thank you for the suggestions and photos, this is really helpful. I was thinking this might be how it should be put together.  I’m going to make another short wire with a terminal end that connects to the points post and then either pigtail the wire ends with a wire nut or maybe I’ll add a small male/female bullet connector to each end for a clean connection.

Thanks again!

Clint