Westie1

Wheel horse b111 issues

Afternoon

Bit of an issue with my b111 mower. 

It wouldnt start at all so i charged battery and no use so last weekend i fault found an earth issue i think between the solenoid and tower. Everything was cleaned up wd40'd and it turned over. 

Today it wouldnt stop turning over even with the switch disconnected so i thought short circuit.

Got loom out and it works well.

BUT

5 seconds after i shut off ready to look at carb (wouldnt start) i get smoke from the flywheel and it looks like my coil has burnt out!

Whats caused this and can i use a generic chinese ebay coil. Its a 8hp briggs.

Thanks

20190419_141833.jpg

15556803714727244524024057613427.jpg

That image is typical of a coil that’s recieved a dose of volts via the kill wire. Sounds as though the ignition switch is breaking up internally .

.  Toprove the point you can connect a lighting bulb or multimeter to the kill wire . Then turn the key to the start position many times ( I think that the book says 50!) and watch the bulb or meter. 

I would get a new switch  - being careful to get on that is an exact match .

The ignition switch page of this may be of assistance

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3c4cw5ruve7bb9d/WH Quick Reference0001.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p8ntrlau5gk8uyl/Wheelhorse ignition switches0001.pdf?dl=0

All ive done today (other than kill my horse) is read.

Your right i wired 12v to the kill switch like a massive plonker!

Cant convert to electronic ignition without having the flywheel magnets re polorised so its flywheel off and new coil time. 

All i wanted to do was cut lawn make a short vid and sell it to fund ibiza 😂 Pollock

Edited by Westie1

I don’t follow the “ can’t convert to electronic bit” I think that you may have read something referring to a much , , much older engine than yours.

All you need to do is fit a Magnetron coil - £20 for a pattern one. No need to remove the flywheel, just leave the points and condenser where they are so that they hold the breaker plunger in place to keep the oil in !

That vid applies to a much older cast iron block engine.

I repeat, all you need is an electronic coil (Magnetron) . Undo two hex head screws to release the coil, clip the wires tight under the flywheel with out removing it.  Fit the new coil and set the air gap between it and the flywheel and connect the original wire from the kill terminal on the throttle plate to the new coil and it’s job done.

Just make sure that no fault with the ignition switch  is going to send 12 volts down the kill wire.