Rayp

I can't believe its finished!!!

I have finally finished refurbishing my C 160 Automatic and mowing deck.  The paintwork is not up to show standard but it shouldn't rust and it is intended to be a 'working tractor'.

IU am no engineer and the whole project has bee a steep learning curve for me, having never sprayed or completely dismantled a machine before.  If I ever attempt another it should be like shelling peas as I

think I must have already encountered 90% of potential problems. 

I'm still working on the photography/uploading - the last photo should be the first.

P1010421.JPG

P1010419.JPG

P1010418.JPG

P1010420.JPG

P1010439.JPG

P1010440.JPG

P1010441.JPG

P1000852.JPG

Thanks Westie - I used IHC (i.e. International Harvester) red, which I got from The Vapormatic Company Ltd  at www.vapormatic.com.  Following advice I used zinc primer on many parts before realising it did not take the final coat as well as I had expected. I later used etch primer which I got better results from and all cleaned parts were first treated with Hydrate 80 (rust killer and barrier system) to ensure that any rust in crevices, pits etc. was rendered harmless.

Regards

Ah i was going to go with the bilt hamber stuff too but ive gone with the corroless system now. How did you find the hydrate 80 from them and was it their zinc primer you used? Electrox?

I found the Hydrate 80 worked well removing rust and leaving clean steel.  After removing the cleaned parts I washed them in water and dried them immediately with a hot air gun.  I did use Electrox and waited the 96 hours before applying a topcoat, but found later that the top coats were easily rubbed a=or chipped-off leaving the Electrox coating intact.

In fact, I wrote to Bilt Hamber when the problem first appeared, after I had finished painting the Deck and their reply is below.  Needless to say I did not remove the lot and merely treated the affected 'spots'.

"

Electrox is and organically bound zinc rich coating that does not need to be abraded before over coating.  I think the solvents at temperature with low air movement has caused this problem.  Flat back and reapply, but the limit of adhesion for the new paint will be that of the flatted enamel you apply to unless you remove the lot."