CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: Tote’n Tools Comet Chainsaw

Newest addition to the collection, just picked up this Comet saw this morning. Pictures are as-purchased condition. I’ll add some more photos once I’ve had a chance to clean it up and go through it a little.

176E6D09-3823-48B7-8697-C1311C3B10B3.jpeg

ED936025-C31B-472B-AC4C-682DD9787609.jpeg

6744AA18-7B7E-4266-8478-545855BB6C05.jpeg

5 hours ago, Wallfish said:

Nice find!

The paint looks looks really good and no rust on the handle. That should clean up nicely.

Wallfish are you still selling ohlsson and rice diaphragms? If so I'd like to buy one

Thanks, yes it looks to be in generally good shape. Should be a fun one to clean up!

If Wallfish doesn’t have diaphragms I might be able to help you out, PM me once you know.

7 hours ago, Wallfish said:

Nice find!

The paint looks looks really good and no rust on the handle. That should clean up nicely.

Thanks! I hope I don’t uncover anything too out of place once I get into it. Looks pretty good on the outside.

1 hour ago, Kickstart1996 said:
7 hours ago, Wallfish said:

Nice find!

Wallfish are you still selling ohlsson and rice diaphragms? If so I'd like to buy one

:WMOM:

Both Webhead & Wallfish have them if you are in the US, I can help if you are in Europe.

David

14 minutes ago, CNew said:

Thanks, yes it looks to be in generally good shape. Should be a fun one to clean up!

If Wallfish doesn’t have diaphragms I might be able to help you out, PM me once you know.

Thanks! I hope I don’t uncover anything too out of place once I get into it. Looks pretty good on the outside.

Do you have diaphragms as well?

On 5/11/2019 at 6:29 PM, CNew said:

Newest addition to the collection, just picked up this Comet saw this morning.

Looks in very nice condition, those early saws aren't that easy to find, I'm still looking.

It's had the carb replaced at some point, the quadrant control isn't found on the early ones, also one of the filler caps should be red (maybe the paint has fallen off).

e2a.jpg.edb24eac284d200f5a4c4f0eff404baf.jpgn2a.jpg.77cfe7744302f016daece734d7140102.jpg

David

I have a few. They may not be the exact brand material that Wallfish used but it should be very similar. I tracked down this material specifically for thin diaphragms. It is the correct thickness as well. I tested a small piece in some fuel for a few weeks and it seemed ok but I haven’t officially got any hours of use yet in an O&R engine. 

2 minutes ago, factory said:

Looks in very nice condition, those early saws aren't that easy to find, I'm still looking.

It's had the carb replaced at some point, the quadrant control isn't found on the early ones, also one of the filler caps should be red (maybe the paint has fallen off).

e2a.jpg.edb24eac284d200f5a4c4f0eff404baf.jpgn2a.jpg.77cfe7744302f016daece734d7140102.jpg

David

Thanks David - I was thinking the same thing. Given the age I was expecting the carb that has the flat top with no primer button.  Indeed one of the caps has one or two small specs of red paint remaining on it. I’m assuming red is for gas and the aqua cap is for oil. If so, a previous owner may have made the mistake of putting oil in the gas side and fuel in the oil side. I’m still investigating...

7 minutes ago, CNew said:

Thanks David - I was thinking the same thing. Given the age I was expecting the carb that has the flat top with no primer button.

Carb primer conversion kits were available from April 1962, so wouldn't be out of place for this saw, in fact all the others I have pictures of have primer buttons.

David

1 hour ago, CNew said:

I have a few. They may not be the exact brand material that Wallfish used but it should be very similar.

Did you ever have Eric cut those for you?

4 hours ago, CNew said:

If you could email me a price and picture at sheldongeorge55@gmail.com that would be much appreciated!

3 hours ago, Wallfish said:

Did you ever have Eric cut those for you?

Yep, Eric was awesome and cut me a few that I plan to experiment with and test.  I’ll probably arrange to send him some more material at some point to cut a larger batch if they end up working out well.

1 hour ago, Kickstart1996 said:

If you could email me a price and picture at sheldongeorge55@gmail.com that would be much appreciated!

Just sent you an email.

5 hours ago, factory said:

Carb primer conversion kits were available from April 1962, so wouldn't be out of place for this saw, in fact all the others I have pictures of have primer buttons.

David

Wow, that’s early. I didn’t realize the primer was offered so quickly after these engine switch came out.

17 hours ago, CNew said:

Wow, that’s early. I didn’t realize the primer was offered so quickly after these engine switch came out.

What they should have done was totally re-design the entire carb but they just kept putting band-aids on them for the entire run. Primer button, check valves, remove screens, ect. The carb is the weak link of these engines