Hi All, This is my 1st post as I am new to this forum & hope the knowledge within will provide answers to my ?'s. A friend who grew up in California recently gave me this Toby Cart he used as a kid.  It was produced by the Halicki company in Gardena California, sometime in the 60's.  The motor is an Ohlsson & Rice, J II .85,  the carb, & gas tank are missing so I am on the hunt for both. I have gone thru the motor & all is good to go!  This is meant as a display piece so there is no panic or urgency to grab parts.  You won't catch me or anyone I care for trying it out!  Would the carb be the same as the J I & J III? if so what source if any?  where could I get a steel tank?

There is not much info available about "Toby Cart" on the internet period.  This is what I've researched so far & hope I have it correct.  Toby Halicki moved to California when he was 15 & started pumping gas, within 2 years he owned his own body shop & eventually ended up with his own wrecking yard, he started building hot rods & custom cars, fixing wrecks etc, he took real estate classes & ended up buying commercial properties, later he was tapped to do stunt driving in movies & eventually caught the acting bug. He took acting class & ending up writing a script (1974) to a movie titled "Gone in 60 Seconds".  The movie was not that successful in N America but Europe loved it & he made millions.  Unfortunately Toby died while filming Gone in 60 #2 (1989) on location in Buffalo, a stunt went wrong & he was hurt by a downed telephone pole. An avid collector, Toby also owned one of the worlds largest toy & automobile collections.  Thanks for looking & feel free to correct or add info. 

Sincerely, Don M

Ont Canada

IMG_6663.jpg

IMG_6662.jpg

IMG_6659.jpg

IMG_6660.jpg

IMG_6661.jpg

IMG_6664.jpg

Edited by BabaBooey
uploaded wrong

3 hours ago, BabaBooey said:

There is not much info available about "Toby Cart" on the internet period.  This is what I've researched so far & hope I have it correct.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing some pictures of your O&R powered Toby Cart skateboard.

We have come across the Halicki motorised skateboard before in this thread;

But I hadn't spotted the name Toby Cart before, which is just visible in the first picture in the above linked thread.

There are a couple of different motorised skateboards (including what looks like the Halicki/Toby Cart) in the July 1965 edition of Popular Mechanics magazine; Popular Mechanics July 1965 (Motorised Skateboards)

On 7/30/2017 at 12:14 PM, factory said:

Found an article from Popular Mechanics magazine July 1965 edition that features this skateboard, it's on the blog-site wackyboards, whoever scanned it did much a better job than google managed!!

http://wackyboards.blogspot.co.uk/2009/07/halicki-motoboard.html

It seems Henry Blight Halicki aka Toby Halicki had a few different names according to Wikipedia.

The website below states that he invented the Toby Cart motorised skateboard aged 21, which would be somewhere around 1964-1965 and it was featured on several TV shows including; Johnny Carson's Tonight Show, The Lucy Show and The Monkees.

http://ampoleagle.com/a-dunkirk-legend-in-the-making-p2615-146.htm

3 hours ago, BabaBooey said:

The motor is an Ohlsson & Rice, J II .85,  the carb, & gas tank are missing so I am on the hunt for both. I have gone thru the motor & all is good to go!  This is meant as a display piece so there is no panic or urgency to grab parts.  You won't catch me or anyone I care for trying it out!  Would the carb be the same as the J I & J III? if so what source if any?  where could I get a steel tank?

From what I can see in addition to the missing tank & carb, you will also need a tank strap, the two carb/induction housing flange gaskets, an air filter, the other cylinder plate & a UY6 spark-plug. All of those parts are commonly missing from O&R engines, but they do turn up from time to time on eBay, or it may be easier and cheaper to buy a donor engine. The carb will be one with a diaphragm primer button & needle valve on top.

The Model J engine is one of versions that had a reduction gearbox (900rpm output, 6.9921 to 1 gear ratio), they also seem to turn occasionally on eBay. In my collection I have a barely used JI that I imported from the US and a rough JIII that I found in the UK (which I intend to get running again at some point).

David

David, thanks for your reply. It goes to show how valuable these forums are, for whatever your playing with.

My buddy has old video of himself sitting in his brothers lap while driving this Cart in California, I'll try & link it some day.

Cheers,

Don

:WMOM:

I've been looking for one of those for a while. So far have only seen beat up boards with many missing parts. That one appears to be in very nice condition.

Howard Stern fan?

1 hour ago, BabaBooey said:

Hey now!,  Correct you are.

Cheers,

Don

PS Go Bruins!

No sorry, you do not have enough clout here, yet. Moderator please remove this. Go Blues!

Joe in St. Louis

On 5/23/2019 at 8:44 PM, Webhead said:

No sorry, you do not have enough clout here, yet. Moderator please remove this. Go Blues!

Joe in St. Louis

Ummm, I have moderator status now and you're tempting me to ban you from the forum! :yankchain:

Being located across the pond I have no idea who either the Bruins or Blues are, will google it later.

Back on topic, I noticed earlier in the week that there should be a guard over part of the belt drive section.

Also is that cable/tube underneath the board attached to what looks like a foot pedal for the throttle control or something else, is the long spring part of this too?

1482125645_TobyCart.jpg.d665c656b92852ee1df8d226ce063d56.jpg

David

Thanks for confirming that John, I thought it might be for a foot throttle control, it looks like it has a lever at the other end for the carb.

David

I’ve been looking for info and pics of the linkage on these boards. I just picked up my second one last weekend and am looking for pics of the foot throttle and linkage. I have a few extra engines and some tanks if someone is looking for parts

That seat board is net I seen some on line and in books but I thought they were a phantom that's awesome. would love to find one ( no chance of that )

On 8/23/2019 at 11:54 AM, Mekash said:

I just picked up my second one last weekend and am looking for pics of the foot throttle and linkage.

I thought I had some more saved pictures on the computer but I don't, possibly because I've never seen one for sale.

Hopefully someone with one of these can share some more pictures of the mechanism.

David

On 5/22/2019 at 8:50 AM, BabaBooey said:

Hi All, This is my 1st post as I am new to this forum & hope the knowledge within will provide answers to my ?'s. A friend who grew up in California recently gave me this Toby Cart he used as a kid.  It was produced by the Halicki company in Gardena California, sometime in the 60's.  The motor is an Ohlsson & Rice, J II .85,  the carb, & gas tank are missing so I am on the hunt for both. I have gone thru the motor & all is good to go!  This is meant as a display piece so there is no panic or urgency to grab parts.  You won't catch me or anyone I care for trying it out!  Would the carb be the same as the J I & J III? if so what source if any?  where could I get a steel tank?

There is not much info available about "Toby Cart" on the internet period.  This is what I've researched so far & hope I have it correct.  Toby Halicki moved to California when he was 15 & started pumping gas, within 2 years he owned his own body shop & eventually ended up with his own wrecking yard, he started building hot rods & custom cars, fixing wrecks etc, he took real estate classes & ended up buying commercial properties, later he was tapped to do stunt driving in movies & eventually caught the acting bug. He took acting class & ending up writing a script (1974) to a movie titled "Gone in 60 Seconds".  The movie was not that successful in N America but Europe loved it & he made millions.  Unfortunately Toby died while filming Gone in 60 #2 (1989) on location in Buffalo, a stunt went wrong & he was hurt by a downed telephone pole. An avid collector, Toby also owned one of the worlds largest toy & automobile collections.  Thanks for looking & feel free to correct or add info. 

Sincerely, Don M

Ont Canada

IMG_6663.jpg

IMG_6662.jpg

IMG_6659.jpg

IMG_6660.jpg

IMG_6661.jpg

IMG_6664.jpg

Hello was 

BF801FF5-8AFC-4200-B6BB-84E5254EDDF4.jpeg.1c4bda2ffc48e18d0fb2b81420bea93c.jpegBF801FF5-8AFC-4200-B6BB-84E5254EDDF4.jpeg.1c4bda2ffc48e18d0fb2b81420bea93c.jpeg

Those Toby Carts are just too cool!  Makes me want to build my own version. I also like that you’ve kept them in original condition.  I’d love to find one of these some day.

So they are all slightly different, never knew they were made in different sizes.

Hopefully Don @BabaBooey will see your request for some pictures of the foot controlled throttle mechanism, looks like you may be able to help him with some pictures of the drive belt guard that is missing from his Toby Cart.

David

Attached are some pics of the cable rod that runs under the board, if you need more detail let me know

Cheers,

IMG_7434.jpg

IMG_7435.jpg

IMG_7436.PNG

IMG_7437.PNG

Edited by BabaBooey
uploaded wrong

Those parts don't look too difficult to replicate, it might need a bit of experimentation to find out the length of the rods required for the two different sized boards that @Mekash has.

David

Hi & welcome to the forum, that sold quick and the board at least looked in very nice condition, I never saw it as it wasn't advertised internationally though.

The engine looks to have a broken flywheel fin & part broken from the magneto plate, did it have a mishap as some point?

David

One fin broke on flywheel and no recoil I have plenty of them. need to put the rite tank on it I don't think  that's the rite one?

doesn't look like it was used much. I hope it's as good as the pics.