meadowfield

Raider 16 4x4 articulated -aka project bendy

Posted this on the wrong thread - Brrr it's cold .

Some thoughts on the belt issue. Possibly try using a cogged (not toothed) wedge belt, machining up a pair of deeper profile pulleys to retain the belt within the flanges when it twists and making up two raking fingers pointing into the open side of the pulleys to continuously remove debris before it builds up.

That was on of my earlier plans, but they are not as tolerant to twist as v belts, plus once clogged up they ride over too.

Will perservere a little longer

Do you have room to fit a cv/uj joint on the intermediate shaft and anchor it to the rear transmission so the sprockets can stay in line as articulation takes place?

Or use a worn chain which will accept an amount of twist :D Or fit an idler sprocket on the outside run of the chain where it meets and leaves each drive sprocket,4 in total, this may reduce the risk of the chain running off.

Hence my suggestion of toothed belts. ;)

it's keeping them clean Norm, would be a nightmare in mud - plus they aren't designed to run out of line either

Posted this on the wrong thread - Brrr it's cold .

Some thoughts on the belt issue. Possibly try using a cogged (not toothed) wedge belt, machining up a pair of deeper profile pulleys to retain the belt within the flanges when it twists and making up two raking fingers pointing into the open side of the pulleys to continuously remove debris before it builds up.

I thought of cogged v with perhaps some grooves or notches in the pulleys to stop it slipping

I now it's a major change but how about two right hand boxes and a mini prop shaft , NICE work tho mate !

just not enough room James

Do you have room to fit a cv/uj joint on the intermediate shaft and anchor it to the rear transmission so the sprockets can stay in line as articulation takes place?

Or use a worn chain which will accept an amount of twist :D Or fit an idler sprocket on the outside run of the chain where it meets and leaves each drive sprocket,4 in total, this may reduce the risk of the chain running off.

I've turned the sides of the sprockets down to allow a greater angle. I think running worn and loose with idlers is the way to go.

I ran it again at the weekend and it did better, but it is an extreme angle i'm asking it to do

These problems are all part of the fun mate, it's called development :)

I've just finished 4 years of development!!!!!

Brief update...

Started with a vengeance on the hydraulics. Done the levers

post-100-0-11250900-1453745689_thumb.jpg

Shame every fitting I have is different :(

post-100-0-16096500-1453745892_thumb.jpe

post-100-0-82212700-1453745908_thumb.jpe

I think I'll end up changing everything over to jic, as can't adapt the spool valve to metric

post-100-0-81991900-1453746072_thumb.jpe

After a day of painting, cleaning and making fiddly linkages (not much room in there now) I now have working levers :D

Linkages have equal throw, that's why it looks a little complicated. One crank is 2x longer, but the spool linkage halves this to keep things balanced.

post-100-0-09943400-1454865381_thumb.jpe

Dash decal done too. :)

post-100-0-22051700-1454866747_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Slow progress this week, but I did get a delivery :D transmission parts, plus some big chevrons as I've said before I like big wheels....

c7b90e8f1696c5dc3698ec7bc28e578c_zps4d9a

Bradford-20140220-00905_zpse49dde45.jpg

More to come :D

love these tyres! what spec are they ?