Sign in to follow this  
Stormin

Westwood S1300

Youngest Son-in-Law asked if I could collect a ride on mower, the owner of the holiday site he works at had given him. Also could I sort it out for him. Somethings not right with the steering he said. Not right was an understatement. It didn't.

Anyway we picked it up this morning. Westwood S1300. B&S 12-1/2hp with mowing deck. Age as yet unknown and in need of a good clean. On investigation I found the gear that engages the steering quadrant was badly worn. So worn it was not engaging the quadrant. New gear and quadrant needed. £80 off that site. Engine runs sweet as a nut and the oil is clean. Needs a battery clamp and that's about it.

Deck needs a good pressure wash underneath e seems sound.

P1020884.JPG.67005c0efc644c75c1ad2754b7c2223f.JPG

P1020885.JPG.495f078a8db7a1c71527bae56b7b3560.JPG

P1020886.JPG.2d4e18da5551a4e79ac3a51a81c3c5d8.JPG

Not bad for free.

Deck needs a good pressure wash underneath e seems sound.

Pressure wash now, fit new bearings later!!:hide:

Seriously though, three inverted food tins over the spindle housings may save a bit of grief down the line.

Tanks Nigel, but after taking the quadrant of it is ok. Just the gear needed and Kris has ordered one. £20 and his boss was going to scrap it.

Just wondering what a should charge him for labour? :D

Got it dated off the bar code and it was manufactured 08/7/2004.

Set too on the deck today. What a nightmare. While cleaning off the underneath with scraper and stiff brush, I found the spindles wouldn't turn. Bearings seized solid. It's been sitting in a shed for a couple of years and just put away after use. Judging by the grass wrapped round above the blades, (and that that was wrapped round the tractor axles), was last used to cut long grass.

One pulley is refusing to come off, so it'll be taken to the farm for a warm up. I'll see if I can get the use of a press to push the spindles and bearings out. I'll warm those up beforehand as well.

One good thing and the only one, is the shell is good and solid.

5 hours ago, Stormin said:

. I'll see if I can get the use of a press to push the spindles and bearings out. I'll warm those up beforehand as well.

Just need a selection of bits of tube etc to support the new bearings on the appropriate inner or outer race so avoid "brinelling" the tracks before they've done anything!. 

Everything is in bits now. Bit of a warm up and the pulley came free. Spindles took some freeing from the bearings though. What a state the bearing were in. So called sealed for life bearings, the cut grass had forced the seals in and the bearings had debris packed in instead of grease.

The outside spindle housing had seals at the bottom, but the inner housing didn't. Not sure if it ever had one. If it did, it's a different size to the outers. We've got new bearings already. Seals and belts to come and I'll get new nuts and bolts, then next week see if I can remember how it all goes together.