Sign in to follow this  
Fix'em all

Astra Rotavator

Bought this machine this weekend because I can find absolutely nothing on the web about it. It is called the Astra & it was made by the Digmower Manufacturing company in Hampshire. It has an Aspera engine & a huge gearbox & set of Tines on the front. The identification plate has a space for a serial number to be stamped on it, but it was never stamped. Can anyone throw any light on this.

s-l500.jpg

Edited by Fix'em all

Well, I thought this was rare but I'm beginning to think it's the only one. I joined a history group in the town where this was manufactured, posted a photo & details of the company name & address. Been viewed by nearly 70 people & not one comment

Might be worth an enquiry re Digmower to the Museum of Rural Life at Reading. On a point of order, you have a rotary Cultivator and not a Rotavator which was the registered trade mark of  the Howard  Rotavator Company and should not be used on any machine not manufactured by them.

Thanks for the tip Wristpin. Rotavators - Cultivators.   Hoover's - Vacuum Cleaners. It's what happens when you have a well known brand & I don't suppose either were too upset at the extra publicity 😁

22 hours ago, Fix'em all said:

Thanks for the tip Wristpin. Rotavators - Cultivators.   Hoover's - Vacuum Cleaners. It's what happens when you have a well known brand & I don't suppose either were too upset at the extra publicity 😁

Actually a lot of companies do get upset and spend a lot of money protecting their trademarks. In the early 1960s my first job on leaving college was with the Caterpillar Tractor Company and part of my product familiarisation was reading all the trade magazines, noting all the use of the word caterpillar with a small c as a description of a crawler tractor or track . The authors / publishers were then sent a snotty letter pointing out the error of their ways. 

When I created my former company's web site I used the word Strimmer and even though acknowledging that it was B&D's trade mark I received a three page letter demanding that it was removed immediately  - or else!! 

Now, where's my Biro - sorry, ball point.