CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: chainsaw- is there something unique about this chainsaw?

I’ve seen a few of the Orline Mustang chainsaws recently on eBay and this one came up this week. I was surprised by the level of interest in it vs the others that sat on there for awhile and weren’t generating as much interest. I can’t figure out what the draw is to this specific one. It looks to be in decent condition but I’m guessing it’s also been repainted. The metal cover over the gear box is different but that looks to be hand crafted and not part of the original saw. Is there truly something special about this one that I’m not seeing?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ANTIQUE-O-R-ENGINES-CHAINSAW-WITH-BAR-CHAIN-SAW/333229306238?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160811114145%26meid%3D6c212c4e5b094e64914e8f114437dc58%26pid%3D100667%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D192947701968%26itm%3D333229306238&_trksid=p2045573.c100667.m2042

Not seen one like that before.

I'm not so sure it's been repainted (or partly repainted) as the decals looks original, including the clear instruction one on the gearbox shield.

The chrome handle is different to the standard ones, as it isn't flattened at the gearbox end (where it normally screws on).

Oddly the stop switch is right by the exhaust :scratchhead:, also the handle still has the holes for the switch rod, maybe that got broken & swapped with an Orline one.

David

That’s similar to what I was thinking, there is just enough odd about it. I was guessing that maybe someone rebuilt it or only had a partial saw to start with and then added the switch and cover shield along with a different handle.  I’ve yet to see anything like this as an original unit but maybe it is. The decal on the cover plate threw me off too.  I’m with you:dunno:

There are a lot of unusual variants of chainsaw, none of which turn up very often, together with a couple of variants from the magazine adverts (in the sticky thread) which I have yet to see a surviving example for sale (the Calif. Power Line Products Inc. chainsaw for example).

Thinking about it, the original switch may have been damaged and as it's not an off the shelf part, they may have replaced it with the toggle switch.

David

On 6/15/2019 at 9:22 AM, factory said:

There are a lot of unusual variants of chainsaw, none of which turn up very often, together with a couple of variants from the magazine adverts (in the sticky thread) which I have yet to see a surviving example for sale (the Calif. Power Line Products Inc. chainsaw for example).

Thinking about it, the original switch may have been damaged and as it's not an off the shelf part, they may have replaced it with the toggle switch.

David

Being from the USA  I agree it may have been built for a large retailer like Montgomery Wards, JCPenney, Sears, or any number of other retailers. Often times these variants were spec'd differently for overseas markets

It could be from a department store, the retailer/re-branders label must have fallen off at some point.

We have seen an Auger from Wards, Sears did have two chainsaws that are pretty well documented in the O&R service manual, Sears also put their catalog number on the instruction decal, I haven't seen anything re-branded for JCPenney (Penncraft) yet.

David

I had some NOS parts for the Orline saw that were tan. Actually most of them were. It could be that this one was built from replacement parts.

Edited by Webhead

Another possibility, the 1964 engine parts list does mention a tan starter (it doesn't state what it was used on), but what about the two decals and the different chrome handle? Also did you have a tan painted gearbox half?

Here are some edited pictures from the ePay auction for future reference (they will disappear from ePay when the auction link eventually dies).

q9a.jpg.6da467ca6f0f8d41ef2a5f30888db84c.jpgq5a.jpg.7212a9b326b83d08d9fe7a0a580e43c5.jpg

q6ab.jpg.febbe5c4d4b971b0d52a55a3c202b42b.jpgq10a.jpg.73e906b8710a36cf532c7561dc334631.jpgq4a.jpg.a3ac8d9eaad1d4f7c87d41c30c2f2758.jpgq3a.jpg.64521bcac5bc509091cddaabf888da9b.jpg

q2a.jpg.32a5ed5cbaf9e4f9bb9b0ffc80c4a9ab.jpgq1a.jpg.4cfc9c5e06ec1d1ec10560256863eab0.jpg

David

Yeah, after looking at your photos, the tan spare parts were quite a bit lighter in shade. That's definitely an oddball. My favorite and very rare saw is all chrome with the later style starter.

Good to see you back on Webhead!  Can you post some photos of your chrome saw, I’m still very curious to see that one.

On 7/1/2019 at 12:39 AM, Webhead said:

Yeah, after looking at your photos, the tan spare parts were quite a bit lighter in shade. That's definitely an oddball.

A couple of starter housing parts that I have are painted in a neutral (undercoat ?) finish, I've seen other parts like this too, I think they stopped supplying spare parts in all different colours* and must have left it up to the repair shops to paint it to match.

In fact some of the very late production tools & bike kits seem to have been spray painted all over after assembly.

David

*Unless it was an OEM that ordered a very large quantity.