CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: Orline Mark II Chainsaw

I've moved several posts about the 13A/13B shaft seals (that are not relevant to the Orline Mark II chainsaw) to new thread here:

I've had to add quotes for the bits that can't be moved (as I can't split a single post into two separate posts).

David

Clint, I hope it all makes sense. :hide:

Back to the Orline Mark II saw, is it running OK now?

You were talking about taking it apart to check seals & the fuel lines (which are completely inaccessible otherwise), have you got the required socket for getting the de-compression valve out? The engine can't be removed from the frame with that in the way, a deep thin walled socket is required to remove the valve.

David

P.S. I will try & get the rest of that service bulletin added to the manuals thread.

David,

I have decided to set the Mark II aside for the moment. I do plan to take it apart at some point though to check everything. I am going to read up on it a bit more, since it will be the first 20A that I have worked on and they look to be a little more involved than the 13A or B engines.  I want to know more about what I’m getting into before I’m committed:unsure: 

I’m really glad you mentioned the de-compression valve and the need for a proper socket.  I’ll have to check to see if I have the right size.  

Thanks,

Clint

I ended up buying two deep sockets, the first one was too large to fit. :banghead:

489286908_OhlssonRiceChallengerChainSawMaintenanceManualPage14a.jpg.78855c0da978689302c868690351b7c6.jpg

You may also find it useful to have three longer screws/bolts to help with separating the engine from the frame.

196346334_OhlssonRiceChallengerChainSawMaintenanceManualPage15a.jpg.b905cc0a43f3c1e14799d5d4f9893a2e.jpg

Another deep reach socket is used for installing the seals.

1665224122_OhlssonRiceChallengerChainSawMaintenanceManualPage15b.jpg.4d45e776e04f93f733e232a81de6da33.jpg

Have a good read through both the 20A & Challenger Chainsaw manuals.

There is another service bulletin for these saws, they must have had complaints.

1015530596_OhlssonRiceServiceBulletinS-E099Nov72ChainSawTestingChallengerFordEagleIIIMagnaa.jpg.279f5d9e1d1a9e02e82070fc58297340.jpg

David

Wow, this is extremely helpful!  Thank you for digging through the info, these service manual tips are best known ahead of time.  I have some deep sockets but I’ll have to see if they fit.  If not, I’ll probably buy a couple  heaped sockets individually and grind the outer edge down to fit.  I had to do this on a 3/8 socket once in order to remove a needle valve from the carberatur on my Kohler K241.

Just had a look at the sockets again, actually it wasn't the outside that was the problem, it was the inside not being as deep as it looked.

The Japanese one I got from a junk stall fitted, whereas the expensive Snap-on didn't (I really should stick it back on the bay).

SAM_4218a.jpg.1b918b838495672dd499afb73624a63f.jpgSAM_4221a.jpg.b538ce1f188f8ff7c580260e78bbe5b8.jpg

David

Ahh, that’s good to know ahead of time.  I was able to find my deep sockets, now just need to verify it’ll fit the valve.  That’s too bad the Snap-On socket didn’t work out, they make nice quality tools.