CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: Type 227 Engine

My next quick project is a Type 227 engine. I’m not sure what this would have gone too but with this tank it seems like it would have possibly been a generator or pump or something (I’m sure David knows). Looks to be in pretty nice shape, it’s dirty but I don’t think it’s seen all that much run time.  The tank is pretty clean inside and the piston and cylinder wall look nice. No real signs of carbonization in the exhaust collector. It also has the original nasty foam air filter and hard fuel lines. The pull rope looks practically new. I’m going to give it good external cleaning (including the recoil spring which is pretty gummed up and makes the retract a bit sticky), clean up and adjust the points and see if it will get spark and run.

2AFCD992-29A6-4A7C-9863-73DF672CF951.jpeg

5AF95F0B-ABD2-4B35-BC07-AAAFDF1C1986.jpeg

Edited by CNew
Typos

So far so good. I got the points cleaned up, they definitely had a film of oxidation and gunk. These tanks are always a challenge to clean because you can’t see or access the fuel line and the pickup filter. I finally got it to where I can blow air through the fuel line so hopefully it’s clear enough to now suck fuel.  Got everything else cleaned and ready to put back together. There must have been fuel mist or something mixed in with the dust, that stuff ended up being harder to clean off than I had anticipated.  Hopefully today I can do the recoil spring and get it all back together. I’ll post some “after” photos.

23 hours ago, CNew said:

My next quick project is a Type 227 engine. I’m not sure what this would have gone too but with this tank it seems like it would have possibly been a generator or pump or something

Looks like it had very little use, still has the paper labels too.

I can't find anything that uses the Type 227 engine, I have pictures of a couple more which all have the shaft extension for fitting a sprocket or pulley of choice and a clamp holding the tank vent line to the side of the cylinder.

David

Maybe this type 227 was used for mini bikes or something.  I got it all cleaned up and it runs like a champ.  I mocked up an idea for a display/test stand and added some really nice soft elastomer vibration dampening feet, it worked great.  I think I’ll take some time now to paint the stand and make it look nice.  I may also add a bracket off to the side to mount a small R/C fuel bottle so I have an easy fuel source for testing other engines that done have integral tanks. 

A4F0BECE-04D6-4529-A9DD-0236A651B860.jpeg

7FB7DA4A-D6EC-46F2-8B73-E53EE0271501.jpeg

51 minutes ago, CNew said:

Maybe this type 227 was used for mini bikes or something.

Unlikely as they usually have one of the O&R engines with a gearbox & the standard round tank.

Looks nice on the stand/base.

David

Good point, forgot about the gear box being needed for a mini bike.

One other observation on this engine is the gas tank has a little aluminum button/cap on the side with the fuel filler that is usually another vent line. Is this clue helpful at all?

4C18D2B3-0850-49F8-8564-260FFA4B6469.jpeg

How do you fine time to work on all your projects ? I can't seem to find the time it take me months to get one done .Ive got one on the bench

that I  started I think in may .  That being said your engine came out nice and clean.

Haaa, I hear you. Most of mine typically take a few weeks or longer sometimes. I’ll work on them for a hour here and there during the week, but it’s hard with kids and my job. This Type 227 engine was probably the fastest I’ve ever done one. Since it was mainly a clean up job it didn’t require too much interrogation.  I still had to pull the flywheel and stuff to get to the points but I think I’ve gotten the hang of that process. 

What are are you working on right now that you have on the bench? Post some pics, always fun to see what others are fixing up.

10 hours ago, JUST O&R said:

How do you fine time to work on all your projects ? I can't seem to find the time it take me months to get one done .Ive got one on the bench that I  started I think in may. 

Same here, finding time to work on my O&R's or vintage electronic stuff is difficult at the moment.

David

Many Compact engines were sold just as utility engines only and didn't necessarily have an intended purpose or tool to attach to them. That was up to the person who bought them. Model B came with that type of tank and the crank extension.  Not sure exactly what's up with that particular tank venting set up.

Thanks!  I may look at countersinking the holes that mount to the rubber feet to give it a cleaner look. I’ve got some other ideas for stands as well and just haven’t had the time to make them.  I’ll paint this one up and add some pics when it’s done.

Edited by CNew
Added though

On 7/21/2019 at 1:47 PM, Wallfish said:

Many Compact engines were sold just as utility engines only and didn't necessarily have an intended purpose or tool to attach to them. That was up to the person who bought them. Model B came with that type of tank and the crank extension.  Not sure exactly what's up with that particular tank venting set up.

They had brochures listing various engines (with or without gearboxes, clutches & tanks) that could be bought for building into whatever project you could think of.

A couple of later tools in my collection have the blanked off vent next to the filler cap, but they also have the filler extended too.

David

Finally put the final coat of paint on the little stand today. I ended up countersinking the bolt holes for the rubber feet. I think it will have a cleaner look. Once it’s cured in a couple days I’ll add a couple photos.

As soon as I get back from this business trip I’ll try to get the engine mounted back on the freshly painted stand.

Here’s the finished stand. Ended up going with a hammered metal paint finish, kind of like the paint finish on the C-Saw.

D5D0C5CD-8002-493F-82FF-31C052893AD2.jpeg

1C17B5B6-F959-4210-AB24-3CB1B5EB1F62.jpeg

Looks very nice, those feet would probably be good to replace perished ones on some of the older tools too.

On 7/21/2019 at 5:06 PM, Webhead said:

Cool little home made stand. In 25 years, people will be wondering why and what this one of a kind set up was for. 

And wondering where they can get replacement feet for it too, I do wonder if young people in 25 years time will know what an engine is with everything going electric these days.

I've had my display of O&R tools at shows and even had people ask what the engines came off, or did you take all those off hedge cutters, they thought I had added them to the tools. :scratchhead:

David

I got these particular rubber feet from McMaster Carr. They have a couple different durometer choices as well. They definitely do the trick.

It is amazing to see just how quickly the younger generation is becoming unaware of simple things like engines, and it’s very sad....

Ive never heard of McMaster carr. just checked out there website ( Interesting ) what category ? Thanks seems like they have a good variety.