Webhead

O&R: shaft seals for 3/4HP .85HP & 1HP engines (including 13A & 13B)

On 7/16/2019 at 1:33 AM, CNew said:

HeadExam,

One of the seals that is hard to find is the induction shaft seal. The dimensions I get from a micrometer are 0.36” ID x 0.5” OD x 0.094 cross section and it’s a pretty simply U-cup shape.

Clint

Sorry, but 5/8" and .625 ID are the smallest seals I have cross referenced. I'll try and find smaller seals

Edited by factory
Added quote from Orline Mark II chainsaw thread.

Same as other seal suppliers I've looked at, 0.375" shaft diameter rotary seals not available without the metal casing. :dunno:

David

P.S. will double check the shaft size another day as it's 11pm now, plus this topic needs splitting off into a separate thread as it's not relevant to the chainsaw in the title.

Maybe those old seals started at .031, and now after many years in the engine, they end up measuring .036 ?  Gas, oil, heat, friction, time and you're measuring a worn seal. What does the shaft measure where the seal rides? Or maybe that's what you measured, IDK

Seems to me a tight fit of .005 under for the ID is better than a loose fit of .004 over :dunno:

John,

I initially measured the shaft where the seal rides and it was 0.36.  I found a U-cup seal that had an ID of 0.31 and OD of 1/2 and tried it and it’s extrmely tight because it gets additional compression when the shaft passes through. I was able to turn the shaft with it in place but it definitely has a lot of friction and takes some effort. I was also thinking that maybe it would loosen over time and after running the engine a bit.  I’m really tempted to finish installing one on a spare test engine to see if it will work. 

This morning I was poking around again hunting for seals and found a listing that referenced a metric U-cup seal that was 9mm ID x 13mm OD.  Unfortunately I haven’t found a source that actually carries them yet.  I think this could be a really close possibility if I can actually find a source.

Clint

23 hours ago, CNew said:

John,

I initially measured the shaft where the seal rides and it was 0.36.  I found a U-cup seal that had an ID of 0.31 and OD of 1/2 and tried it and it’s extrmely tight because it gets additional compression when the shaft passes through. I was able to turn the shaft with it in place but it definitely has a lot of friction and takes some effort. I was also thinking that maybe it would loosen over time and after running the engine a bit.  I’m really tempted to finish installing one on a spare test engine to see if it will work. 

This morning I was poking around again hunting for seals and found a listing that referenced a metric U-cup seal that was 9mm ID x 13mm OD.  Unfortunately I haven’t found a source that actually carries them yet.  I think this could be a really close possibility if I can actually find a source.

Clint

Try putting the seals in the freezer for an hour before installation

Several posts moved to here from Orline Mark II chainsaw thread (that doesn't use these smaller seals).

I've had to add quotes for the bits that can't be moved (as I can't split a single post into two separate posts).

On 7/16/2019 at 12:12 PM, CNew said:
On 7/16/2019 at 3:54 AM, HeadExam said:

You might look at this catalog, I haven't found any seal of any type that is .036 ID all are .031 or .040

https://www.skf.com/binary/21-318140/810-701_CRSeals_Handbook_FULL_Apr-2018_rv1.pdf

Thanks for the link! Yes, that’s been the challenge. I found some 3/8 ID but they’re just ever so slightly too large. I’m still going to test them to see if when under some pressure they expand enough to create a seal but I’m doubtful because they’re too loose in a static state.

David

On 11/30/2022 at 3:43 PM, tvenetis said:

Hi Clint did you ever have any luck with finding seals?

Still experimenting. I have a little engine project I’m thinking of trying out a few options to see if any work.

Yes, I’ve done business with him before- good seller. He does have some seals listed now but the price is a little high. I tried an offer but no luck. 

10 hours ago, tvenetis said:

Hi Clint do you have the part numbers for the seals? thanks.

Yes, I’ve done business with him before- good seller. He does have some seals listed now but the price is a little high. I tried an offer but no luck. 

On the main home page of this website there is a folder for Ohlsson & Rice. If you go to that section there is a listing that has all the engine diagrams, part numbers, misc magazine articles, etc.