JUST O&R

Comet c/saw

Well here is the project I'm working on now. This is the first O&R I acquired it was about 35 years ago my brother worked at a mower shop in Florida.

His boss was going to threw it out and I said I will take it . I took it apart and was going to get it running but life gets in the way I was only about 16 maybe 18 not sure .

Its been in a box for a long time 6 to 7 moves 3 states . I found it in a box a few years ago and this it what started it all .  Missing a few parts must have got  lost in the

moves  but well get it together . For the last few years I have been buying them when I can. thanks to a few good people I now have a few diaphragms to get it going and a few more.

Missing the clamp to hold blade and blade. Just found a blade on ebay 8" is not on all the store shelves. 

IMG_2709[1].JPG

IMG_2710[1].JPG

IMG_2712[1].JPG

IMG_2711[1].JPG

Nice that's an early one with the starter housing screws in the back, I've seen several new looking engines for these C-Saws on eBay over the years, no idea what people did with the rest of the saws. :scratchhead:

Are 8" blades obsolete too? I've found 4" grinding discs are no longer made too, they must do it deliberately to get people to buy more tools they don't need. :banghead:

David

I'm sure this is an older unit it is one of the only ones Ive seen  with this tank. I think you had a posted  about  popular science 1962 I think its about the same.

I have not seen one of this saws with the same tank . the one Ive seen have a aluminum tank with a knob on it this one has a round tank with a handle

over the top .   I will get the ser # maybe someone can tell me the year

p.s I was looking for a 4" grinding wheel went  three places to find some .

Its like every thing, make it for a few years and change it.

Then discontinue it.

35 years, and I thought I was a procrastinator. I'm lightning fast now compared to you. LoL

The blower housing is an early version as David noticed but the coil isn't.

I have a couple of the earlier saws with the can style tank like yours. Think the other tank style is branded under a different name

ya I'm a little slow. The wires on the original coil are coming apart can't seem to find one like that.

The only one I have that's is about the same is on my pump and not taking that apart.

Has anyone tried to replace the wire I have considered trying some unscrew out  and some don't.

IMG_2713[1].JPG

IMG_2719[1].JPG

I wonder if you could use heat shrink tubing to repair the old wire, either over top of the existing broken wire or maybe pull of the old brittle wire insulation and add heat shrink or something? I attempted a combo fix like this on an old Briggs motor that had wires that looked like the ones in your photo.

Nice pump by the way!

Thanks was like that when i got it. a considered shrink wrap but this is the wire that goes around by the cylinder.

I think I'm going to try to take it out its no good the way it is. it looks to be sealed in with something.

absolutely would like to use this original if I could but the A-149-3 is the replacement.

8 hours ago, JUST O&R said:

ya I'm a little slow. The wires on the original coil are coming apart can't seem to find one like that.

The only one I have that's is about the same is on my pump and not taking that apart.

Has anyone tried to replace the wire I have considered trying some unscrew out  and some don't.

IMG_2719[1].JPG

Those early coils often have crumbly insulation on the wires, heat-shrink sleeving works OK, just be careful not the overheat the plastic casing of the coil.

David

21 hours ago, JUST O&R said:

I'm sure this is an older unit it is one of the only ones Ive seen  with this tank. I think you had a posted  about  popular science 1962 I think its about the same.

I have not seen one of this saws with the same tank . the one Ive seen have a aluminum tank with a knob on it this one has a round tank with a handle

over the top .   I will get the ser # maybe someone can tell me the year

p.s I was looking for a 4" grinding wheel went  three places to find some .

Its like every thing, make it for a few years and change it.

Then discontinue it. 

19 hours ago, Wallfish said:

I have a couple of the earlier saws with the can style tank like yours. Think the other tank style is branded under a different name

There are three different versions of the Comet circular saw that I know of;

The first & earliest (1961 or earlier) branded Comet C/Saw, I can't imagine many survived for long without the tank getting damaged;

m1.JPG.cc3fb5fe8e2a015796a778d7217bfc60.JPG m3.JPG.311bcf5dd39fca968b8854f304987548.JPG m2.JPG.d5a568bb16f36b21575e4b03a03c32d9.JPG

Second version same as yours, also branded Comet C/Saw with improved tank handle;

w1a.jpg.4760f9d2e1167dc0e7760fc417b1e2eb.jpg w2a.jpg.2c597166e4101dd30dc4d05edc3572c7.jpg w4a.jpg.63b48828cb806b99b9ca0df554afe639.jpg

And finally the later version, branded Comet Tote'N Tools, with cast tank;

l3a.jpg.993a3d166be3d44d087b5aaf3848e6a6.jpg l2a.jpg.5cf7d198a4d6f60bccb0026f68ecba60.jpg l1a.jpg.f04b2393aa1aba53ff9bb55f5cb27288.jpg

Have you got the special cover that Comet used for the magneto coil?

David

P.S. None of these are mine, I only have a Comet pump myself.

David,

thank you for adding the other photos, it’s neat to see the various generations of this saw.

Clint

The one I have looks like the second set of pics that is the same handle I have .no I don't have the cover for the coil.

Do you know if the wires will come out would love to put in a new wire. I try to keep them original if I can some time

it doesn't work out . This one I had to paint the lower plate And I will need to paint  the handle on the tank .

I'm sure that I will never find one of this old coils but it will run again!!!

17 hours ago, JUST O&R said:

Do you know if the wires will come out would love to put in a new wire. I try to keep them original if I can some time

Unfortunately the wires don't come out of those coils (not without destroying them anyway), they will probably be soldered inside too. They often have perished rubber wiring, hence why I sleeve them, never seen a new coil for sale over here either.

I have seen the the plug wire fallen out of several later coils, exposing a pin at the bottom for the connection, but this won't help with the earlier ones.

David

1 minute ago, Webhead said:

Here’s my version. Pretty much unused.

Show off! :yankchain:

I've never seen that early type David posted before. Even the coil cover is old school.

Wow, that’s a gorgeous saw!  How did you come into so many practically new and unused tools?  Your collection is amazing.

YOU HAD TO GET THAT OUT  OF A BOX TODAY. THAT' IS SPOTLESS ILL TRADE YOU LOL THAT'S THE NICE'S SAW IVE SEEN

ID LIKE TO SEE YOUR COLLECTION ONE DAY. NONE OF THE ONES I HAVE ARE EVEN CLOSE TO THAT. I HAVE A FEW THAT I THING LOOK GOOD

BUT I WILL HAVE TO LOOK AGAIN.  VERY NICE .

Well, you have to understand that I have taught Wallfish almost everything that he knows! Actually, we've done great favors for each other. My thought process was to buy the best that I could afford. In just about every collecting type hobby, the best examples are more likely to hold their value. Not to mention, I was competing against less vultures!

One other thing that I'd like to say, it's great to see newcomers inject some interest on the forum. This actually helps create more interest. And then to have the local guru, well, across the pond, makes it even better!

IVE LOOKED AT A LOT OF INTERESTING THING BUT I DON'T THING IVE SEEN ONE THAT NICE.

THERE'S A LOT OF JUNK OUT THERE . LOVE TO FINE SOME NICE UNITS THAT I DON'T HAVE.

ALL SEEMS THE SAME A LOT OF SAWS AND ENGINES .

Cheers to that!:thumbs:  Thanks Webhead- I’m thoroughly enjoying this forum and interacting with you all in this hobby. I’m learning a ton and having fun!

YOU KNOW YOU PROBABLY SHOULD JUST  SELL THEM ALL . MY WIFE SAID THE KIDS WILL JUST JUNK IT ALL.

THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE OR HOW LONG THEY HAVE BEN AROUND. IF IT'S NOT CASH NO CLUE.

Post correction I probably should just sell them .

Will it can be done it wasn't easy but it works NOT I CAN USE THE ORIGINAL COIL.

Cut the original wire off about 1/2 " from the coil used a dremel with a extra small bit

and dug out the around the steal wire. Then soldered in a new wire in when took a heat gun and heated

the insulation on the wire and kind of slid it down  into the coil. (It may be hot)

IMG_2738[1].JPG

IMG_2740[1].JPG

IMG_2741[1].JPG

IMG_2744[1].JPG

IMG_2746[1].JPG

Good to see you sorted it out :thumbs:.

I didn't suggest that method as sometimes you can make coils, transformers or other wound components worse, if a soldered joint further inside goes open circuit as a result. I have done delicate surgery on (unobtainable custom wound) potted transformers at work, using a heat-gun to gently soften the compound, then digging a little bit out at a time to find the failed solder joint(s), again I had to be careful not to use too much heat to avoid disturbing other joints.

As parts can be scarce, you sometimes have to resort to either figuring a way of repairing it or making a new part from scratch.

David

Will john said it was the wrong coil for the year so I just thought I would try to fix it .

Can't be leave it still works Ive never been good with soldering things.

Sims to work has good fire only time will tell. Ill get the carb done and see how she run.

22 hours ago, Wallfish said:

I've never seen that early type David posted before. Even the coil cover is old school.

Here is another picture showing the back of the coil cover, which unlike the later ones is completely open, I guess something in that style could be made to replace the missing one.

m5a.jpg.97c4a390e937828403d63f4cd4453cf2.jpg

Something else I've noticed is the extended tube for the muffler, I've checked through my other saved pictures and a few other early ones (with the round tank & larger handle) have this too, including the C/Saw K-TRON repaired earlier this year.

Also interesting to see they put the air filter in the other handle too (carb side).

David

Edited by factory
Extra Info

1 hour ago, JUST O&R said:

Will john said it was the wrong coil for the year so I just thought I would try to fix it .

Can't be leave it still works Ive never been good with soldering things.

Sims to work has good fire only time will tell. Ill get the carb done and see how she run.

Nice job repairing that coil!

Might as well have tried to fix it. It was already broke so nothing to loose if it didn't work.

22 hours ago, Webhead said:

Well, you have to understand that I have taught Wallfish almost everything that he knows!

Show off! :D

Actually, not sure I would've collected so many if it wasn't for Joe. I found a couple tools and had no idea of what they really were or there were so many different types of tools made. Then I found Joe and he had plenty of advise and some spare parts to boot. So @Webhead is responsible for the madness.

Do you have one of those old school saws David?