JUST O&R

Comet c/saw

Probably too late but here are some pictures of the carb I found today, the screw is 1/2" long after the spring washer, the needle will be useful as I have an early engine that needs one. If the screw is of any use I will find out how much it would cost to send over.

SAM_4388a.jpg.2fdf00e52d0fdd8d520b3b0ce66f0244.jpgSAM_4390a.jpg.4cade421e2f11f4c8d4075050ae0091e.jpg

On 8/1/2019 at 9:15 PM, K-TRON said:

I am honestly shocked that this saw was fit with such an aggressive blade from the factory. I had tried a carbide tipped blade much like that and the belt continued to slip no matter how I adjusted the drive belt, and how slow I fed it wood. I suspect that the reason for this was due to the inherently wider cut made by the style of blade that I used. The teeth are very closely set on the blade I currently run, and it works well.

The fine toothed blade looks a much better choice than, is belt the original?

I guess it still works well because the Comet C/saw doesn't use a gearbox, the early gears were made of cast alloy which quickly ended up with stripped teeth, probably not helped if the gearbox oil escaped through poor gearbox seals, O&R changed to using grease later on, anyone rebuilding one should use grease too.

23 hours ago, Wallfish said:
On 8/1/2019 at 6:59 PM, factory said:

I'm also surprised that so many of these Comet Saws appear to have had very little use.

Because they don't work that great and the lack of power. Not to mention the carbs suck (except for gas and air) so I'm sure many people just gave up.  Certainly good for us collectors many years later!

I have a Homelite XL100 saw that will power through a 4x4 easily with an aggressive blade at full depth. Fun to use but it's heavy.

Does the Homelite have belt drive? The Orline circular saw also has belt drive and I noticed the advert showing a similar aggressive blade (one of two blade/disc types supplied with it).

David

Thanks guy's I'm going to cut off the 100021 screw that I have this will work . I'm sorry to make all this  B.S. over one screw.

It will just have a Philips screw head . This saw may not have the power of the homelite but they are still cool.I'm sure the belt

slips a little they are only 40 to 50 years old. I don't think I will run the engine with the belt on I'm not sure if it will stay together .

It seems very dried out. I'm sure we can't buy a belt! 

So if I get the ser # rite this would have been the 7280 unit made ?

If the information in the link is correct the Homelite has a much bigger engine than the O&R, which probably explains why it's more powerful.

http://www.acresinternet.com/ Homelite XL100

12 hours ago, JUST O&R said:

I'm sure we can't buy a belt! 

You probably can, McMaster even make them to order, their website has information to work out the size required (which is useful if the original has stretched with age, is broken or completely missing).

https://www.mcmaster.com/drive-belts

And yes SN #007280 is the 7280th engine they sold, probably produced around 1961.

David

P.S. I probably won't be on here much today or tomorrow, as I'm off to a show on Sunday, hopefully it will stay dry. :fingerscrossed:

Been working a lot this week just found some time to work on my saw . Made a cardboard stencil  of a cover then cut it out of some tin.

Then brazed it together a little sanding and I have a cover. came out ok for the first one. now I might need to paint the rest.

IMG_2758[1].JPG

IMG_2765[1].JPG

IMG_2767[1].JPG

IMG_2770[1].JPG

12 hours ago, JUST O&R said:

Been working a lot this week just found some time to work on my saw . Made a cardboard stencil  of a cover then cut it out of some tin.

Then brazed it together a little sanding and I have a cover. came out ok for the first one. now I might need to paint the rest.

Looking very nice, personally I would keep the original paint on the rest of it as it's still in quite good condition, plus the repro decals don't look quite right.

For reference here are some pictures I took of the coil cover from my Comet pump (I meant to add them a while ago but never got round to it), no idea if the bottom section has a bit cut out of it for the pump as I haven't got any of the other tools to compare.

SAM_4336a.jpg.1aa589cadf34c4718b657c3936398bed.jpg SAM_4337a.jpg.7408a69177e40cf794f42682807ecd9c.jpg SAM_4338a.jpg.04790c77802c60c5eb30d0785cefb52f.jpg SAM_4339a.jpg.ba9eb96895c6fdc50be0d8a9a201fddf.jpg

David

Will I wasn't going to paint it but the tank need a lot of cleaning. Those are some great pix,s of the cover .

I toyed with the idea of  fiberglass but maybe next time. The tanks the next  part of the project .

IMG_2778[1].JPG

On 8/10/2019 at 4:35 PM, JUST O&R said:

Will I wasn't going to paint it but the tank need a lot of cleaning.

Ah, maybe that tank would benefit from repainting, I was referring to the original paint on the starter housing being in good order.

David

Had to get this done. still needs a few things but had to get it off the bench. still need screws for carb just had to use some I had

the bolt and hardware to hold the blade ( can't find ) found something that would work just not rite.

well for being in boxes for years it's not bad . thanks for the help.

P.S. Ill need more help with the toby cart

IMG_2901[1].JPG

IMG_2902[1].JPG

IMG_2903[1].JPG

Wow!  Nice work, that turned out awesome!  That home made cover really finishes out the saw.

I think I see an O&R outboard on the wall, is that already fixed up or next in line after the Toby Cart?

After the toby cart . I would like to do it first it will look good on the shelf. have about 10 to 12 projects.

Just no time in the summer to many broken lawnmowers .

Wish I had time but work gets in the way!

The saw only took about 35 years !

Yes David its almost done. still looking for screws for the diaphragm plate the screws I have are Philips head screws.

Thats's not the rite ones they should be flat heads so Im still looking.

You said you were looking for a cylinder baffle for your current project (the Toby Cart), if you were to make a replica of the type normally found on the C/Saw, then you will have that spare newer one for the other engine, just a thought. :)

w9a.jpg.14dff99fd623b35332d1b37327ba8dd7.jpg

w6a.jpg.7c03810ae8bfed2931f1aff4b80c52df.jpg

David

Ya  that the screws I'm still looking for just would like to have the rite screws there.

I know its not a big deal most people  would never notice. but when you see it  you let

me know it not rite so we need to make it as close as we can.

( YOU SEE THINGS I JUST DON"T SEE )  But I thank you for that it's great to have people looking closer then I do.

I'll have a look through my damaged carbs & spares and let you know if I can help with some original ones, I'm out tomorrow so it will probably be Sunday when I get a chance.

Also I have now found a UK supplier for flat head fillister screws as well (plain or black stainless available), they don't have Philips head ones, but Webhead has helped with those in the past. :thumbs:

22 minutes ago, JUST O&R said:

( YOU SEE THINGS I JUST DON"T SEE )  But I thank you for that it's great to have people looking closer then I do.

I do have an eye for the detail, plus an archive of pictures permanently borrowed from ePay & goolge to help.

David

I got a care package in the mail last week look at that is a coil cover wallfish was kind enough to send me one many thanks

I will post a pic when I get it on there.:tthankyou:

The first one is the one I made. ( But I think you could figure that out on your own)

521255837_IMG_27671.JPG.5e72de14c1c1cee07112c0599e679709[1].jpg

IMG_3797[1].JPG

IMG_3798[1].JPG