Oldfolk

dozer buying guide for DougC

hey Doug if you can tell us what machine you are looking at and or what kind and size trees you are wanting to clear we will try to

help you more. when talking about track life or wear 50% would mean that half of the track life is used up. when a dozer is inspected

by a dealer and they say 70% they mean 70% is used up not left. most individuals will say 70% meaning they have 70% left which

can be confussing. track wear is measured over 5 pins with track tight and a measurement of the rail height. diff track types have

different measurements so you have to know which machine and which track it has to get the measurements from a dealer

are you cornfused yet LOL just ask and we will try to help you all we can if I can get some pictures that would help I will try

Awesome Oldfolk. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions.  :)

I am looking to clear 20 acres of locust  about half of which is the killer black thorny trees. Tires are not an option.

With the estimates I have gotten so far from some independent contractors I am sure I would be money ahead to do it myself if I don't overspend on a crawler machine.

I have no semi tractor trailer to haul it around. It would be used on my property  and then advertised for sale when done. The trees are mostly 48 inch in diameter and    reach toward the sky for sunlight.

I would sell firewood to those that wanted to bring their saw and haul it away and then doze the rest in a pile and burn it. 

I have an annoying neighbor I might consider chasing around with it as well...........:lol:

Thank you for any advice you can give me in advance..... 

Norm I wish I could give it all to you but can't afford to ship it from Iowa to the U.K mate.....                                                      

what kind of a budget are you working with on buying a dozer ? an old machine like I have will do a lot of work but not as fast as a newer

one mine is a 1947 and I baby it as much as I can. buying a 40's 50's or even a 60 or 70's dozer can be a cheaper first investment but can

cost more in the long run if it has a major failure of any type as the price u buy one for is the most it is worth ever no matter how many

dollars you spend fixing it up, but the same can be said for a newer one also I guess LOL. if time getting the job done isn't a factor for you

a mini excavator with a thumb may be a better deal  as the have a better resale value than a old dozer. but they cost more up front too.

a D3 size dozer may good if your not in a hurry. the older cats have a great parts supply which makes them a little better than say an

fiat allis or international as parts are sometimes hard to find for them. look around find something you think you like let us know what

it is and we will try and see if there is any of the normal things wrong that can be seen on a walk around, but never buy one that you

cant start drive and best if u can work it a little say just push some dirt as this will help tell more about the drive train and engine

Something Steve touched on but didn't elaborate on with old dozers; what are your mechanical skills? If you can find a "turn key" machine, it's going to need maintenance along the way. Fuel, oil, oil filter(s) and air filters need changed and cleaned regularly not to mention greasing the machine. These old machines are not like modern cars that need virtually no maintenance, but then most of this modern stuff won't last 70 years or so either.

I spent 40 years working at GM Dealerships doing diagnosis and repairs of cars, trucks, and medium duty trucks. Got promoted to shop foreman and lead technician then service manager. Admittedly I have limited knowledge of Dozers but I turned wrenches all my life and can load a new tube of grease in a grease gun in record time. Getting dirty and crawling around on the ground is normal for me. I maintain all my own equipment and will until the day I die..........:lol:

From an Aussie point of view , I know nothing about the root system of the trees you are wanting to clear . But to me sounds like minimum of a D6 size machine , with rear rippers and something i don't see much of on machines in america . .A tree pusher mounted on the blade  .This is not my photo so credit to original owner.

93269e0a.jpg

I have some friends in North Carolina that swear by tiger cat stumpers  as you will see in the video. I am looking for an all in one machine I can push down and drag the trees. Not in a huge rush to get the job done but a dozer  seems to keep coming to my mind as I see them clearing land in my area all the time.

I have been told a D8 or D9 but those are 100 grand and far above my budget.

What does a good used D6 go for in US dollars in OZ ianoz?

Here is the Canadian machines working in the timber.  :)

I've seen those type machines around here occasionally, but most of the trees are like the ones in the video. You had mentioned trees up to 48" diameter, as i recall  most of these stumpers (feller bunchers) limit out at around 24" diameter trees. For the bigger trees it's time for the chainsaw and wedges.

As far as the cost of dozers, you could probably pick up an older D6, 7 or 8 from the 1950's era for far less than 100K, more like in the 6-10K range. Then this leads back to the question of mechanical skills. These old machine require quiet a bit of work just to keep 'em going as i stated in another post. For some of us, it's almost a matter of love keeping 'em going and sort of preserving the past at the same time.

Newer machines are easier to run, but they have the same maintenance requirements as the older machines. I guess the ultimate question would be the depth of your pockets as to a newer machine versus an older one.

I want to thank you all for your help and information first of all. I am paying close attention to your answers. I have a life time of diag. and repair on cars and trucks at Chevrolet Dealerships but none on heavy equipment.  Pockets not very deep as I retired in 2013 .  I can hardly use  my big chainsaw these days and rely on my tiny Stihl trimming saw to get me by. I guess I want a machine I can knock down, drag and pile various size timber to clear 2 pastures. Whether to sell or burn.

Nobody can diagnose a problem over the phone/ internet without specific's and I have given you guys close to none. 

I just want to thank all of you for your time and help here. I will see what I can make happen here in Southern Iowa now!!!:)

That is the exact dozer I had in mind.  :)

A reinforced steel canopy so when I screw up the tree wont smash me in the drivers seat and the wife won't be able to collect the life insurance for hopefully many years to come.

I know a couple guys down in that area I can call on to give it a look over and I hope a test run.

I will be at the mercy of delivery charges as I don't have a Kenworth and a lowboy trailer to transport.........

Poor people always seem to have poor ways and that's me mate........:lol:

16 hours ago, Oldfolk said:

if Doug doent buy it Ian are you gonna have it shipped to OZ LOL

Steve , as Buddy would say We iz pore folk here . Lol