Sign in to follow this  
Stormin

Exhausted.

Had a bit of a mishap when mowing alongside the pond, outside our abode last week. There's a big willow tree that I pass under and I push the hanging strands to one side as I do so. These are practically touching the ground and this time I didn't quite get things right. Some strands tangled round the stack and snapped off the silencer/muffler. Just above the clamp.

P1020746.JPG.1979500bd65627b29989001cf779c7c8.JPG

Went to a local tractor, quad, garden machinery outfit to see what they had. Only thing kind of suitable was a silencer/muffler for B&S 10 - 12hp engines.  Had to order it and I picked it up today.

It was made to screw into the head, but as can be imagined, the stub in the Kohler head was not going to budge. A little bit of measuring told me the existing pipe O.D. just above the bend, was slightly bigger than the new silencers.

So I cut the pipe just below the join and off to the farm workshop to borrow the ocy/acet and heat the end of the bent pipe up. Getting it red hot allowed me to screw the threaded end of the new silencer into it. Worked a treat and no welding was needed, as the fit was good and tight.

Fitted to the engine and we're back in business.

P1020983.JPG

OH! The willow has had a bit of a trim as well. :D

10 hours ago, the showman said:

You’ll need a big rain flap to fit that. :lol:

It's not ideal, but a least I can mow and I don't mow in the rain. Could well be modified some time in the future.