K-TRON

O&R Drillgine

I have been busy inventorying all of my engines, and came across my old Drillgine. It has a model 13B 403 engine # 6092030. It is rated 1hp according to the sticker on the factory toolbox. In my search for information, I need to verify some specifications on this engine. Am I correct that the model 13B has a 1-1/4" bore, and 1.096" stroke, with 1.34 cubic inch, 21.9cc displacement, rated 1hp @ 6300rpm. I have found conflicting rpm numbers for the 1hp rating, 6300 or 7000. I have the year 1967 written down for it, is that correct? It starts and runs real good even after its four or so year slumber.

Chris

P1250767.JPG

The 1HP rating is for a nominal speed of 6300rpm.

They did do laboratory tests at higher speeds where they obtained a max of 1.1HP at approx 8000rpm, but production engines are stated to not have less than 85% of this (which I calculate to be 0.935HP), of course this will not represent real world conditions.

I have posted the BHP curve graph from the AEP Series 13B engine specifications somewhere before, but here it is again.

471669577_AdvancedEngineProductsSeries13BBHPCurveGraph.jpg.eb0a3cc75405b595b37e5e9c625a2aa5.jpg

The full 1975 AEP Series 13B engine specifications can be found in the manuals sticky thread here;

1 hour ago, K-TRON said:

Am I correct that the model 13B has a 1-1/4" bore, and 1.096" stroke, with 1.34 cubic inch, 21.9cc displacement, rated 1hp @ 6300rpm.

All correct, 21.9cc is round down from 21.95867cc (which is converted from 1.34 cubic inches) as far as I know O&R only gave the displacement in cubic inches.

David

3 hours ago, K-TRON said:

I have been busy inventorying all of my engines, and came across my old Drillgine. It has a model 13B 403 engine # 6092030.

[snip]

I have the year 1967 written down for it, is that correct?

Well the short answer is no.

• For a start I can just about make out in the picture that the serial number is stamped into the cylinder plate (cooling baffle), they didn't start doing this till August 1969, they also stopped stamping the number into the crankcase at this point.
  • Secondly from September 1970 all engines had the new model identifications i.e. 13A, 13B, 20A.
  • Thirdly and this is where it can get very confusing if the serial number is interpreted incorrectly (without checking the first two points). All serial numbers from June 1967 have the year & month codified into them, the format is YMSSSS or YMMSSSS, first number identifies the year, second (and third) number/s the month, the remaining four numbers are engine S/N which restarted at 0001 each month. There is potential for some numbers to have been used twice in the years ending in 67/77 or 68/78, but the first two points will confirm the correct year. After Aug 1969 the only SN format used is YMMSSSS.

Engine 13B403 #6092030 will have been made in September 1976, it may also carry the AEP name instead of O&R.

Hope this helps.

David

Edited by factory
Extra Info

David,
Yes the numbers are stamped on the cooling baffle. There is a sticker on the top of the engine which says that it was manufactured by Advanced Engine Products. Thank you for helping me decode the serial number. I like to hold as much correct information as possible about the engines in my collection. September of 1976 sounds about right to me. The literature and warranty card I have is printed 1970 and 1973, so it only makes sense that the engine was later. I had no idea that they were building thousands of these engines per month. You certainly do not see them very often anymore. The horsepower chart is also wonderful. I have not seen that before. I have the correct air filter for this engine, it is just not installed at the moment.

Chris

P1250768.JPG

Glad I could help, not many people ask about engine serial numbers & dates, but I have been collecting any information on serial numbers & other historical information for quite a long time, hence all those magazine articles I found as a result.

Engines produced before June 1967 are harder to date, but it's not impossible to give an estimate.

My Drillgine is a very late one, type 13B403 SN 8080307, which dates from August 1978, produced about a month before AEP was dissolved.

David

P.S. Those plates with the serial number on frustrate me because they are sometimes missing, something O&R thought would be "seldom, if ever lost". :banghead:

1 hour ago, factory said:

Those plates with the serial number on frustrate me because they are sometimes missing, something O&R thought would be "seldom, if ever lost". :banghead:

OR, easily changed to another engine. :banghead:

Just be aware of any engines produced before June 1967, these will have a SN from 000001 to approx 142000, these numbers do not have any date code in them.

23 hours ago, Wallfish said:

OR, easily changed to another engine. :banghead:

Another common problem, maybe I need to start a new thread to help people identify the age and/or type of engine used on the various tools.

David