CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: Pony Express Bicycle Engine

Here is my latest addition, a Pony Express bicycle engine with original manual. The exhaust pipe and muffler don’t really have any carbon residue. The tank is also clean inside. Some paint chips and general wear from age but overall a nice unit.

41702B2D-B80F-420B-BAEA-1A32BCE5737F.jpeg

3A195968-00BB-43F8-9A7F-5E5B02668FCB.jpeg

0CAFB0CF-9836-4D66-8C63-F1BA21E5EC9E.jpeg

1CA1F5A0-B89C-428C-877D-F405840BBAC2.jpeg

D752F9CE-732E-41C2-96A1-8144A1247D68.jpeg

That's a nice find. AND you got all of the parts.

Like many other O&R tools, they're branded under different names and this one is the same as a Chicken Power but the decal. Never saw one of those before. The muffler is different as well and actually a more heavy duty Nelson rather than just a thin can.

Do you think the paint is original? 

Yes, I noticed the little Nelson muffler right off the bat as well - it’s deffinitely a higher quality. It indeed has the original paint. I’ve seen a couple of these Pony Express variants and they’re all a deep brown mahogany color with the tan. It’s also interesting that they painted everything. I always thought that was a little odd but all the ones I’ve seen all have everything painted. I was also pretty jazzed that it had the original manual.

I've not seen one of those advertised for sale for years, the 'Chicken Power' to 'Pony Express' name change seems to have happened after O&R became AEP.

16 hours ago, Wallfish said:

Do you think the paint is original?  

All the late AEP produced tools I've seen are painted all over, the paint doesn't seem to stay attached that well though.

b6a.jpg.b65a2a15a9611b334fc4ba5df174e775.jpg

David

On 8/8/2019 at 12:23 AM, CNew said:

Seems strange to paint everything, it must have cut down on manufacturing costs or something.

I can't see how it would have saved in production costs as they are using two different paint colors, plus the engine & gearbox were never painted on the older bike kits. :dunno:

I'm curious as the the age of your bike kit, what are the first three digits of the SN? If it is branded AEP it will date from the mid to late 1970's.

David

David,

It’s a little hard to make out because the heat shield is painted but it looks like it’s stamped:  13B - 406 ; 8030206. The original owners manual that came with it has a printed date of 1978.

Clint

The SN #803xxxx gives an engine production date of March 1978, so your Pony Express was made in the last year of AEP Ltd. (formerly known as O&R).

David

Did you fine a bike to put this on yet ?  That old Schwinn would be the best choice. I would like to see a video 

of you going down the road in it . that would be cool .

Not yet. I’ve seen a couple on Craigslist but they’re asking too much. Hopefully I can find one soon. It will be fun to install this thing and give it a go!

6 hours ago, JUST O&R said:

Did you fine a bike to put this on yet ?  That old Schwinn would be the best choice. I would like to see a video 

of you going down the road in it . that would be cool .

Here's a video of Joe's @Webhead son with a Chicken Power

The original Bike Motor Kit (below), Chicken Power and Pony Express were all advertised as being capable "of up to 18 mph".

a1a.jpg.e8217a75e5630de313bbc522291e2a37.jpg

On 3/6/2019 at 8:48 PM, factory said:

I'm sure a read somewhere that some people removed the governor vane to try & get more speed out of the engine too.

The standard bike motor kit was supposed to achieve a max of 15 to 18mph, probably to keep within speed restrictions for bicycles, note that they may not be legal to use on UK roads either (would need annual testing, insurance, drivers license, road tax...... etc).

The original kits also came with a selection of parts to allow it to fit different bike frames.

David

Above quote is from this thread:

https://myoldmachine.com/topic/3757-chicken-power-bicycle-assist-engine-kit-silver-1973/

David

"Here's a video of Joe's @Webhead son with a Chicken Power"

Yeah, he's 19 now and going to college to be a mechanical engineer with a minor in engineering management! Proud of my boy, but they grow up too fast!